Year Zero review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Apr 17, 2007
Nine Inch Nails: Year Zero

If there was anything Trent was 100% right about when he described the album as "Highly conceptual. Quite noisy. F--king cool." It's the noise. Noise and extreme deformity/atonality is persistent throughout every song. It's in the drum-machines, guitar solos and vocals. Songs range from extremely powerful-sounding (Hyperpower! and The Beginning Of The End) and dancy (Capital G and God Given) to quiet and mellow (Another Version of the Truth, In this Twilight and Zer-Sum). Perhaps musically the best album since The Fragile.

For those of you unfamiliar with the huge promotion campaign Trent launched for this album, let me say this: the lyrics are thought-provoking and quite anti-government. They aren't as well as The Fragile (his best, IMHO), and they aren't extremely angry, but they do fit well with the noise.

It's unique, and even the worst song of it (God Given) has since grown on me. The greatest songs are: Capital G, Meet Your Master and The Greater Good, and I guess I don't hate anything about it. If it were stolen, I would buy ten more copies and stuff them into every orifice of the robber. And it is still better than With Teeth, so I give it a 10 (considering the campaign).