Year Zero review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Apr 17, 2007
Nine Inch Nails: Year Zero

Reznor's mixing skills are not to be challenged. The sound quality is great overall, and does not distort easily. My only issue is that after a few listens some of the synths start to get annoying. For instance, on "Meet your master", around the middle there is this bridge part where it's synthy but is annoying. But without that part it's not complete.

Trent has gone political. Fortunately, he's not raving as others are. The album is an essay of the future. It's hard to distinguish the viewpoint of "The great destroyer", becuase it could be a killer or the clue that was hidden in the song, The red horse vector. The lyrics went perfectly with the songs. Capital G, although trent said it meant greed, we all know what it really stands for. George Bush. But the lyrical bomb of "Zero sum" was baffling. It was a long line of strange poetry and then the chorus.

It's not the downward spiral. And it's not pretty hate machine. It's a diffrent sound that almost combines them. With teeth wasn't that great, but this is. I'm going to review each song. Oh and the CD yeids a surprise, it's actualy thermochrome, and when exposed to heat you get binary. When the binary translates, you get to another one of the Year Zero alternate reality game sites. 01. Hyperpower! - the introduction featuring a soldier-like march tempo and rising guitars. Reminds me of pinion. It sounds like a riot building, then exploding. 02. The Beginning Of The End - I like this song, it's kinda pop-ish, yet very hard rock at the same time. During live shows, Trent brings outs the tamborine. 03. Survivalim - the first single off the album, while it's just kinda cool and whatever, it brings back "The Hand That Feeds". 04. The Good Soldier - a slow, kinda moody song. It's very smoothe so it's not hard to listen to. But it's also kinda repetitive. 05. Vessel - a heavier, "Pilgrimage" sounding song. It's not for the average listener. 06. Me, I'm Not - a weird, spacy song. I love this one personaly, and had it as one of my top favorite songs for awhile. 07. Capital G - as I said before, this song is about greed and bush. It sounds like Marilyn Manson, and it is a little repetitive. 08. My Violent Heart - a smaller mirror of Zero sum, it speaks about the never-ending rebellion, and how the goverment won't win. 09. The Warning - by far, the coolest song ever, it takes from god's point of view. At the end, the burst of white noise reveals the prescence, the hand of god. 10. God Given - a heavy synthy song, it gets a little annoying after awhile. Lyrics are superb though. 11. Meet Your Master - the moment I heard this, I instantly thought of "Head like a hole" and it's the same concept. It sounds a lot like pretty hate machine and aside from the bridge synth it's awesome. 12. The Greater Good - a quiet strange song, where the lyrics can only be heard either on max volume or when you read the lyric book. 13. The Great Destroyer - a distorted voice inside of the song leads to another clue. It's a VERY heavy song, while melodic at the same time. The ending synth solo is hard to listen to. 14. Another Version Of The Truth - a piano instrumental. It goes from strange and confused to a kind of "Hey, lets get ourselves together and not f--k up this time." kind of message. 15. In This Twilight - a decent song with a weird synth beat in the beginning. Pretty cool. Almost apocolyptic-cheery sounding. 16. Zero Sum - two weird kinds of rules god seems to place down. Or a manifesto. Whatever it is, the chorus is beautiful and strange at the same time.