Year Zero review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Apr 17, 2007
Nine Inch Nails: Year Zero

If you've ever listened to NIN before, then you probably understand Trent Reznor's brainchild of music. It has a sound all it's own, with electronic instruments being the main focus. On Year Zero, this hasn't changed, but only gotten better. Trent has managed to progress far beyond any expectations he has been pinned to. It's a heavy album, even when the mood is quiet. Every song sounds as it should, with the musical composition riding parallel to the lyrics all the way.

Trent has a way with words, simply put. However on Year Zero, he really manages to get his point across. The record is almost all politically driven, however it is not biased. The words simply point out the direction of the world as we know it. The lyrics can seem a bit repetitive in meaning at sometimes, but I think the only reason he re-emphasizes his point so much is that in each and every song, he has a message to get across, and that seems to be the underlying theme on this record: A message.

To compare Trent Reznor and NIN to anyone other than themselves would simply be pointless. So, in relation to previous NIN albums, I would not call Year Zero better, but rather a genius progression of NIN's place in the world of music. It is safe to say that I see no faults in this record; the musicality and mood are perfect, and Trent's overall message is one certainly worth listening to. If someone stole this CD from me, I would probably let the keep it, so that they could also be introduced to the abstract genius of this music, and then I would purchase a new copy for myself.

evilbeavil
    My Sharona is by The Knack, not The Ramones.
    guitarkid2113
    Great great great album. Excellent. I was listening to it on the train after coming back from my dads. When I put it in the CD player, it was black, when I took it out, it was white. And I was sorta confused...Trent, you tricky bastard.
    _sam_
    my friend gave it to me today...its great! comes with a free patch too.
    ateitup
    i though that capital G was about a man with so power power he was considered a god, or though himself as one
    Banana King
    Dude, in my opinion, this is the best album they've put out other than PHM or The Downward Spiral. This would have to be (for me, at least) after PHM, but before The Downward Spiral. If you have any thoughts about getting this album, THEN GET IT! It's definetly worth it.
    electric7
    great album. right up there with the Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine.
    basscrue
    This album makes sense to me. I really reminds me of his remix albums where he'll just let it all hang loose. I like the fact that he's really not following what music is becoming, but then again when has Trenet really ever followed what the rest of music is doing? Brovo to Trent, and I can not wait for the follow up album, and the tour in support of this album!
    dj_pimp
    evilbeavil wrote: browar wrote: Did anyone noticed that The Beginning Of The End has the same drum intro like My Sharona - The Ramones? And Hyperpower has similar feeling like Scarecrow - Ministry. My Sharona is by The Knack, not The Ramones.
    haha, i was gonna qoute that. lol, but ya i did notice that. i thought i was the only one.
    vans1170
    DrewUr wrote: NiN is pretty cool, but Reznor way overdid it with all that secret website bullcrap. He should just concentrate on the music.
    dude, i wish more people did that. it makes it fun to figure out more than just the cd. sure, you buy a cd for music, the extras are what make it an art. anyone can slap a picture and songlist on a cd. it's out of the ordinary covers and hints that make it epic.
    epy
    top notch album.....i've listened to it almost everday since it came out.
    D. Hero
    I really liked this album. Every song has a different liking about it to me. The CD itself was interesting too, what withthe heat senstive cover. But yes, if you havent heard the album, you should check it out.
    ibanez916
    trents they is so diverse, most of his fans dont realize it. they just want heavy music. reznor didnt only make heavy music but he did it with personality
    browar
    slash6464
    trent is an amazing man. i don't think he would willingly release rubbish lol
    _zac_
    i loved this album, favourites for me were The Warning, Good Soldier, God Given and Zero Sum. Most of my friends described it as "rubbish" though, but screw them this album is sweet
    Jardine07
    great album but not as with teeth, the downward spiral, or pretty hate machine
    vans1170
    no intention of offending, by the way. i'm just adding in my opinion.
    DrewUr