Bleach review by Nirvana

• Released: Jun 1, 1989
Nirvana: Bleach

Bleach was the 3rd album I bought of Nirvana. I was used to their more known signature Nirvana sound from Nirvana and Nevermind. So when I heard Bleach, I was almost doubting it was Nirvana. But it was. Bleach is probably the most seperated sound out of all the Nirvana albums. It sounds the rawest, and heaviest and has that great underground vibe to it. It has some unusual melodies in songs like papercuts. These sounds seem very off and takes a couple of times to get used to. But after that its just so genius. Kurt probably showed off some of his best guitar playing in Bleach with the fastness in Mr Moustache and genius solos on Blew and School. Also did a great job cover The Melvin's love buzz.

Kurt never failed at making the most fantastic lyrics and that shows in every album including this one. Some of the best lyrics were on About A Girl. Which he used with a compilation of common sayings and was able to make it all come together so smoothly. Also did a great job telling some stories in Papercut, about parental abandonment, and Floyed The Barber, which was probably about planned team rape. But he did it so cleverly describing the settings and actions as if it was a good book. Every song had amazing lyrics that fitted together better more than some of the other albums. Every song had a spicific theme and it didnt go off course or hinted on other subjects but still attention grabbing. It fitted the music relly well and his singing is just like what he always sounded like.

Overall, bleach is a great nirvana album. Even though it was their first, it doesnt come up short on anything special they showed on their other albums. If I lost or broke it, I immidiately go buy another copy cuz I listen to it everyday and dont get tired of it. what I like about this album besides the above is that its probably the most challenging nirvana album to play along with your guitar. chad channing also gave really refreshing drum beats. I definately recommend this album to all nirvana fans. But if you're new, as many said, go buy Nirvana and Nevermind first because this would be especially hard to get into if you havnt heard the more "convienient" Nirvana sounds. After that, then you would feel great listening to this album. But it's like a shoe, at first it's uncomfortable and stiff, but the more you use it, the better it will feel.