Bleach review by Nirvana

• Released: Jun 1, 1989
Nirvana: Bleach

This is obviously Nirvana's grunge album. Unlike the Nirvana albums after it, this doesn't have as many different emotions or sounds but can still have you head bang through most of the album. Still the emotions can range from demented (Floyd The Barber), love strucken (About A Girl), and energetic (Negative Creep) are some examples.

The lyrics are great maybe not as compelling or thought out as something you may heard on Nevermind or In Utero but it is still lyrical. Some high points to those is parody-like song Floyd The Barber, the love song About A Girl, the child abuse song Paper Cuts, and the ending Downer. Kurt's voice is very well for the little studio effects and editing sub pop had which has prononced Bleach as one of the most well done albums.

This is probably some of the purest (besides old bootlegs, disc 1 on the box set, and such) that Nirvana can offer. Here are the song reviews: 01. Blew - this is one of the weak songs of Bleach mainly because where it is in the album. It's better as a closer like in The Muddy Banks but it is still a good song 2.5/5. 02. Floyd The Barber - here we go this is a great song on Bleach I think this truely defines the album with a grunge beat and demented and dark lyrics. It seems to be a parody of the Andy Griffith show 5/5. 03. About A Girl - another great song and the only one from Bleach featured on the greatest hits album. I have heard this song was written after Kurt spent hours listening to The Beatles. A great melodic song with a great bluesy solo and pretty much the only non-distorted song on the album. A Great song to sing to your girlfriend 5/5. 04. School - another great grunge song with the simplest lyrics in the world which I will show you now: won't you believe it just my luck no recess your'e in high school again. Just because it lacks a story line or alot of lyrics doesn't make it not great 4.5/5. 05. Love Buzz - a cover song from Shocking Blue, it's not my personal favorite but sounds great either way 3.5/5. 06. Paper Cuts - another good song, although it's a little long. Everytime I hear this song it reminds me of child abuse which is what it is mainly about. I think it may be related to Help Me I'm Hungry and Something In The Way. I love the chorus which is simply him screaming Nirvana 4.5/5. 07. Negative Creep - this song is kind of like Breed I guess (just for repetition) but once again another great song. It kind of reminds me of a good teen gone bad (Daddy's little girl ain't a girl no more) 5/5. 08. Scoff - not a strong song and not a weak song, I guess this is a song about being addicted or getting rehab and withdrawls from it (Give me back my alcohol) still pretty good 3.5/5. 09. Swap Meet - if you get this song its actually really good. I think it's about a drunk abusing his wife whose always there for him (She loves him more than he will ever know he loves her more then he will ever show) 4/5. 10. Mr. Moustache - here you can see another grunge song where a macho man becomes muslim (maybe). Written because Kurt was tired of being an outcast to the macho town of Aberdeen 4/5. 11. Sifting - this is probably the weakest song on Bleach, it's too slow and long. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense either 2/5. 12. Big Cheese - this is a really good song. I have heard it was written about the head of sub pop but not entirely sure. I have also heard this is a radio friendly song yet haven't had the pleasure of hearing it. Maybe it was only on college radios in 1989. Still a strong song 4.5/5. 13. Downer - quite possibly the most lyrically strong song on the whole album, it never appeared on the vinyl or tape version of Bleach and was originally on Incesitcide. This is also the fastest and shortest song on Bleach 3.5/5. All in all Bleach is a must have for every Nirvana fan theres not a whole a lot of bad things to say about it and yes I would buy this album again if I lost or got it stolen.