Bleach review by Nirvana

• Released: Jun 1, 1989
Nirvana: Bleach

Nirvana have their own unique grunge sound as everyone knows and I think they make this most clear in their debut album. Bleach, being the heaviest of albums, has the heavy riffs cranked out from Kurt's anger as a child, and puts all his mixed feelings of determination, annoyance, angst and hatred into the creation of this album. The third track on the album 'About A Girl' was said to be written about Cobain's girlfriend at the time, and was the first track to be put on Bleach. However, other articles state that Kurt was nervous about putting this song on the album, thinking that it might affect the genre of the album and making it more 'pop-like' as opposed to the 'heavy grunge-like' style Cobain wrote the other songs on. In addition, Bleach has no 'light songs' unlike Nevermind and In uTero which both contain acoustic songs: 'Polly' and 'Something In The Way' on Nevermind and 'Dumb' on In Utero.

This album has the simplest of lyrics out of any album Nirvana made, but I feel that Kurt gets his feelings over to the listener well in a few words. For example the fourth track 'School' has the easiest of lyrics and is one of the most popular tracks on the album. I like the way Kurt puts his lyrics to the actual riffs on this album, as opposed to singing over fifth chords. For example, the guitar intro to 'Blew' after the bass intro is played with the lyrics sung with it. This is a rare, unusual technique and most people fail to realise how hard this is to write and sing. Certainly Kurt's voice is rough and has no real melody to it, but uses this talent to make Nirvana sound like Nirvana, and no other band has this skill; maybe this is one reason why no one has covered a Nirvana song and made it sound anything as good as the original.

Bleach in comparison to Nevermind and In Utero is definitely the most unpopular and unheard about, as most people think that Nevermind was Nirvana's debut album. Personally I feel that Bleach is their best album, making In Utero their worst (and In Utero is still an awesome album). The best song in my opinion is Swap Meet and its finest lyrics of 'keeps his cigarettes close to his heart'. It is hard for me to chose the worst song but if I had to it would be Downer as I really don't like the verse part, although the chorus is awesome.

mousepad
    my favorite nirvana album adone of my favorites of all time. school is one of my favorite songs. little double tracked vocals really show his voice, not like the cobain-described "motley crue production [sic]" nevermind.