Bleach review by Nirvana

• Released: Jun 1, 1989
Nirvana: Bleach

Bleach, Nirvana's first studio record, has a bit more of a heavy sound to it. The music is predominantly bass, with catchy riffs and possibly Kurt's most inventive guitar playing. The music seems to be a step above Nevermind, though at times the music sounds similar to the other songs on the album. Not frequently, but if you listen to it as often as I do, you will notice these kind of things. The music style has changed a lot, you will notice, after you listen to their later albums, then this one. "Floyd The Barber" has a very catchy sound to it and you may find it hard to get out of your head for some time. The music still matches everything else perfectly and it all melds together very well. The bass is still mediocre on some songs.

The lyrics were less focused on for this album, though they are meaningful. The lyrics, as with many first albums, tend to be more personal to the writer, in this case Cobain. They are deep, but sometimes hard for someone who didn't personally know the writer wouldn't quite understand. However, they are still extremely well-written and truly bring out this under-promoted album's feeling.

There isn't much to say about this album. It's a fantastic album because you can see Kurt developing his talents, and my overall impression is that, though this album was produced in a matter of days for about $600, a lot of thought was put into every aspect of the album, and that really struck a chord with me, no pun intended. Everything blends together so well and the overall sound is well made. This is a definite must buy for Nirvana enthusiasts.

Repitition
    I love Nirvana but honestly this album is bland. There are good songs on it no doubt but the rest of them just blend together.
    Jrsnyder881
    This is easily one of the best Nirvana cd's out there in my opinion paper cuts is the best song on here
    01chardw
    anyone think that paper cuts sounds like angry chair from alice in chains?
    Baltic Ave.
    The Melvin's drummer's name was Dale Crover, they didn't choose him as drummer because Kurt wanted to find someone who could be there at any time to practice.
    xBassgirl123x
    The first albums are always the best albums because the bands who make them havent became so up themselves.
    mchugh92
    this is prob nirvanas 2nd best album IMO with in utero being the best of them all, nevermind gets annoyin after a while for me
    "11. Sifting - this is probably the weakest song on Bleach, it's too slow and long. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense either 2/5." So short minded