Bleach review by Nirvana

• Released: Jun 1, 1989
Nirvana: Bleach

'Bleach' was recorded before 'Nevermind' and before anyone had even heard of Nirvana. (Apart from maybe a few friends). The sound of this album is certainly different to later works of the band. The sound is very punky and at times harsh. There are a lot of powerchords and a lot of guitar feedback. However, despite the simplicity of the 13 songs there are plenty of catchy melodys and riffs.

The lyrics are often very simple and short. The song 'School' for example only has three lines! (Though they are repeated several times). Generally the lyrics are nothing special and it is usually hard to know what Kurt is singing about (Although that was the case throughout all of Nirvanas releases). However, this section still scores an 8 because on the hole they fit the music and 'alternative' nature of the album. But more importantly I like the way they are delivered. Kurt employs a range of dynamics and emotion through his young yet rough voice.

This album is by no means a masterpiece and is not the best introduction to this legendary band. However, it is an enjoyable listen and has plenty of guitar (Most of which is quite easy to learn yourself). On my iPod I have the songs 'Blew', 'Floyd the Barber', 'School', 'Love Buzz', 'Negative Creep' and 'Big cheese'. Even though I would make sure my copy was never stolen, lost or even damaged I would buy a new one if anything did happen as it is one of my favourite albums.

cobainAnselmo
    Oh my god... i remember when i heard "Negative Creep" when i was a kid, and thought that's the heaviest songs ever.. and now, i ended up listen to Obscura, Necrophagist and all of technical shit.. Kurt Cobain is the ,most influental person in 90's and that's a fact...
    fendercobain87
    i remeber hearing scoff it was very dark and heavy this whole album is very dark and i like the raw sound of it.