In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 21, 1993
Nirvana: In Utero

After listening to the music, the sound is rather split. Some of the songs go for an enormous, stadium sized blow-the-house-down sound (Scentless Apprentice, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter), and some go for a solid distortion, classic marshall sound, where it sounds as though the band is playing next to you (Rape Me, Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle). The songs that excape this are Dumb and All Apologies. They have an excellent cello line, while being very melodic. Dumb simply oozes with Kurt's teenage angst, while All Apologies has a much more light feel. Whatever sound Kurt was aiming for in the song, he absolutely nailed it.

The lyrics, to be honest, are rather mixed up. Kurt even admitted to this, saying his lyrics were cut up, random lines from different poems he used. However, they have their own structure. In the "noise" songs, the lyrics are truly all over the place, but then those songs aren't meant to be incredibly meaningful. The lyrics blend in perfectly to the music. This can be heard exceptionally well in "Dumb", where in a part, the cello line has a high, squealing line. Kurt's voice matches perfectly to it. I'm still wondering how he thought up such a brilliant musical idea. I would have to say "Dumb" has the most meaningful lyrics. As you can expect, the lyrics are up for interpretation. This is probably a bonus, as it truly does stop a song from being labeled as one thing. I can't tell you what a song is, you have to listen to it for yourself and decide what it means to you.

At first, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the album. I had listened to it a few times, and the noise songs felt lacking. However, the key to this album is to not over-do it. Listen to it as you please, but don't listen to it to the point where you are getting bored of it. For the 11 dollars this CD cost, I think I did something wrong. You could pick any five songs from this album, and it would still be worth paying 20 dollars for. I would buy another CD just to keep it in the wrapping so it won't get scratched up. I take good care of it. If this is Kurt Cobain's last musical legacy to the world, I'm sure this is something he'd be proud of.