In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 24, 2013
Nirvana: In Utero

I love this album because it hasn't got that real American mainstream feel that Nevermind has. It's a lot more grungey and, in my opinion, the riffs are better - simple but brilliant. I bought Nevermind first and when I bought 'In Utero' I was immediately struck by how different it sounds - I think it's better than Nevermind. The songs sound more complete. What I mean is you can get more from them well, I can anyway. Krist's thumping bass on this is brilliant and Dave Grohl has to be one of the best drummer's in the world. Kurt was a genius on guitar because he kept it simple yet brilliant.

Lyricly, 'In Utero' is where Kurt really came into his own. Always one to write poweful and emotive lyrics, he really let fly writing this album. He showed a cynical intelligence. "Teenage angst has paid off well" goes the opening line of the album no doubt referring to the huge mainstream success of this album's predecessor 'Nevermind'. The lyrics in 'Dumb' imply that ignorance is indeed bliss "I think I'm dumb/Maybe just happy". We also get a look into how he was feeling when he wrote this album. "I am my own parasite/I don't need a host to live" from 'Milk It' and "Look on the bright side is suicide" from the same song inform us eerily of his state of mind one year before his suicide. I got really upset when I heard these lyrics. It was like he was telling us what he was going to do. It's scary. Kurt was always in favour of women's rights and 'Very Ape' is about men trying to be macho. Kurt's voice on this album is, at times, just this gut-wrenching, heart-tearing scream and you can detect pain and suffering in it. For me the stand-out song on this album is 'Heart-Shaped Box' because well, just listen to it and you'll see.

I think that 'In Utero' is probably the best album Nirvana made because it just feels so complete - the lyrics and music are the best the band wrote together. Oh, check out Dave's drumming at the very start of 'Scentless Apprentice' - it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I love the emotive power of the songs on this album - they can make you feel happy and sad and angry and loads of other stuff all at once. Every time I listen to this (which is quite often) I get a mad adrenalin rush and an urge to pick up my guitar and play it immediately. If this was stolen or lost, I'd waste no time in buying it again - and if I found the thief I'd beat them up!