In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 24, 2013
Nirvana: In Utero

The sound, like everything else on this album, is bleak and disturbing, especially the intros to Heart Shaped Box and Rape Me. However this simply makes the album more moving and emotional. There are also some efeective, cool solo's in songs like Heart Shaped Box, Serve The Servants, and Frances Farmer. The album has excellent sound sometimes furious, (tourettes) sometimes sweet and melodic (All Apologies) sometimes powerful (Scentless Apprentice). The album has a variety within it's sound making it interesting to listen to.

Lyrically, I think this is Nirvana's greatest ever achievement, as it is Kurt's most autobiographical songs. This is easy to tell from just the opening song, Serve the Servants, (Kurt's most autobiographical song). Through lines like "That legendary divorce is such a bore" (about his parent's divorce), "teenage angst has paid off well" (the success of Nevermind), "I tried hard to have a father, but instead I had a dad", (Kurt's father) and even the line "if she floats then she is not, a witch what we had thought" which relates to the magazine article published in Vanity Fair magazine about Courtney Love. Every line of this song has some relation to his love. Whereas Bleach was inspired by the presence of Tracy Marander, and Nevermind was inspired by Tobi Vail, In Utero was inspired by Courtney Love (songs such as Milk It and Heart Shaped Box) and also Kurt's drug addiction, (Dumb, Pennyroyal Tea). Other topics covered in this album are the media (Rape Me), the actress Frances Farmer, (that song is also to a certain degree about the media, "Come back as fire/and burn all the liars"). Overall this album has great lyrical value. Oh, and the person who said "we all know Kurt wasn't a great songwriter" is a moron. he was the greatest songwriter of the 90's and in my opinion ever. Just cos you don't understand the lyrics. Go listen to Busted or something.

What can I say? Possibly the best album ever made, and definitley one of my favourites. Depressing, dark, drug inspired, it makes you almost cry listening to it. But after all, the music was written by a suicidal drug addict, a year before his death. if you don't own it, go out and buy it right now, or if all the shop's are closed, order it off Amazon or eBay, now! I can't emphasis just how good this album is.