In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 24, 2013
Nirvana: In Utero

The sound is absolutely stunning. They shed the gloss of Nevermind and traded it for a raw, uncompromising yet, always melodic sound. Distortion and feedback rage in almost every song except "All Apologies". Take the beginning to "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" for example. It starts out with about 20 seconds of pure feedback. It worked great to shed the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" audience. Just like the band had wanted. True fans couldn't be happier with In Utero's raw sound.

Kurt has his best work lyrically on this album. Songs like "Pennyroyal Tea", "Rape Me", "Heart-Shaped Box" and most of all, "All Apologies" shows that he didn't mess around when he made his songs. Kurt's vocals are also superb throughout the album. All the lyrics were very stark, but they all had so much meaning. And "All Apologies" is in my opinion the greatest song ever written.

It is by far the best album Nirvana ever gave to the world. It's sad that all of the Nevermind fans scoffed at this album because it sounded so different. The whole album is flawless. There is not one song on it that I did not enjoy. I'm sure if you gave the album a chance you'd love it.