In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 21, 1993
Nirvana: In Utero

I love this album. Its sound is a heavier and more creative one than that of Nevermind. However, it is not an accessable album for some one who has nevr heard Nirvana before. Off the wall, heavy, but refreshingly different. Sound quality is good.

This is a classic grunge album. However, Kurt's talent for poetry is not shown in this album. The lyrics become dark, and can be very disturbing, but to the experianced listener can be genius. The lyrical phrasing is particulaly comendable in songs such as Heart-Shaped Box, a master peice of rock music. In certain songs the lyrics are weak, and a little too obscure, such as in Tourettes and are not the best that Nirvana has to offer. THe songs are not as strong lyricly as on Nevermind, but lets face it, that album sold more copies in a year than Bleach has in 10. Lyrics which need particular note are those in Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies. These songs are some times let down by other songs on the album.

01. Serve The Servants - a very nice verse, I like the guitar riff, but it is a weak opening to the album, a stronger intro is needed. The chorus sounds as if he has run out of ideas for the song, but still an average song. 6/10 02. Scentless Apprentice - very catchy drum rythmns at the start, but a melodicly weak song. The melody and lyrics are poor, and the song does not develop. However, it is still catchy. 6/10 03. Heart-Shaped Box - brilliant. A very famous Nirvana song, but still is never over played. The lyrics are obscure but poetic and its melodic interest is more advanced than the previous tracks. I love the way it is written, using the same chord progression. Usually this is not a good idea, but it is written so cleverly in this song. 9/10 04. Rape Me - another good song. Yes the lyrics are slightly disturbing, and the melody is weak, but altogether a powerfull song. I like Kurts very ditached, almost scratchy style of guitar playing in this song. 8/10 05. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle - I love the muted guitar riff in this song. The intro is brilliant. A weak chorus in comparison, but enhances the power of nirvanas music perfectly. 8/10 06. Dumb - a calm rest from the thrashy, busy listening of the album so far. Very sultry, and an exellent lyrical flow, aswell as a lovely cello countermelody. Very touching song, with slightly wierd lyrics. 9/10 07. Very Ape - an intro that reminds us strongly of the kinks, not the most imaginative song ever written, but catchy. 7/10 08. Milk It - my favourite song on the album. It's very heavy in the chorus, a real head ache of a song, and I love it. I feel the lyrics are a bit limited in poetic creativeness but still do the song justice. I just love the chorus, its amazing texture and power. 10/10 09. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter - good use of effects and strange feed back. The chorus, much like milk it is powerfull and catchy. I feel this sing is abit of a filler, but still effective. Its strange ending leads beautifully into the final song. 8/10 10. All Apologies - in effect Kurt's final song, a beautiful touching lyrical song. The opening riff is very hindu and indie in style, with yet another melodic cello acompaniment. Touching. When listening I have mixed feelings, and it is a very sad thought to think of what would soon happen to kurt a few months later. Touching and brilliantly written. 11/10 11. Gallons Of Rubbing Alchohol - much like at the end of never mind, a crazy one to finish with. A bit of a jam session, which is obviously drug induced, but still enjoyable to listen too. Only really for the enthusiastic grunge fan I think. 7/10 This is my favourite album, it portrays the ultimate power of Kurt's music, which has never yet been replicated sufficiently. It has a few weak songs, and is a little strange in places, but the album justifies its message well. If I lost it I would be mortified, and of course would have to buy it again. A stunning creation.