In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 24, 2013
Nirvana: In Utero

This is my favorite album of all time. The sound ranges from soft acoustic songs such as "Dumb," fast punk rock songs like "Tourett's," hard grunge songs like "Scentless Apprentice," and quite songs that get loud like "Milk It."

Great meaningful lyrics. Kurt has a pretty good voice and can scream really loud.

01. Serve The Servants - pretty good opening song about his dad. It has a cool verse riff but only two chord chorus. The chorus is a little mono tone. Still a great song 8/10. 02. Scentless Apprentice - I love this song but I didn't at first. Opens up with a drum beat then a cromatic scale riffs. A pretty Grungy song 8.5/10. 03. Heart Shaped Box - this is a great song in dropped D. Starts off with a very quiet A5 F5 D5 arpegiated chords with clean tone. Continues for the verse and then gets really hard for the chorus 9/10. 04. Rape Me - when you first hear it, it sound like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" because it uses the same chord numbers just different arrangment. A5 C5 Em G5 continues for the verse and chorus. The song has a great bridge 9/10. 05. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle - pretty good song. Start out quiet then gets loud. Could have a better solo but it's got a great verse 8/10. 06. Dumb - an acoustic song about drugs and being care-free. Short and sweet 8/10. 07. Very Ape - a decent song. This song is power chords with a second guitar playing the same thing in a higher pitch which really adds to the song 7.5/10. 08. Milk It - this is a tough one to describe. It starts out with notes that seem kinda random but song good. It's very quiet and then they stop for a beat and hit you with a hard Bb5 E5 G5 G#5 E5 chord progression 8.5/10. 09. Pennyroyal Tea - my second favorite song on the album. It starts out with an Am C chord progression with an acoustic guitar. Then gets hard. The song is about making tough decisions and living with them. I love it 10/10. 10. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter - opens with some weird feed back with some effects peddal and you maybe incline to skip this song right away. The songs about the media and Kurt uses effect to their fullest 8/10. 11. Tourett's - I love this song. I'd consider this song hard-core punk. Loud and fast. The closes Nirvana song I can think of to this is "Territorial Pissings." The lyrics are impossible to understand just listening to the song because Kurt screams them as loud as possible, hence the name "Tourette's" 9.5/10. 12. All Apologies - the best song ever written in my opinion. You'll just have to hear it to find out what it's like 10/10.