In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 21, 1993
Nirvana: In Utero

Definetly Nirvana's best sounding album, even with the contraversy surronding it, with the whole Steve Albini thing. To describe this album the best I can I would say its that legendary Cobain mournful rasp, combined with a dark feel, while being injected with clever melodies, all of which are being raped by incredible distortion. Then amongst all the chaos you have the hidden jems, those little soft, beautiful, amasing touches of sure bliss in misery. The sound truly covers one spectrum to another, while even managing to go right off the edge of said spectrum to find new areas of chaos, distortion, and under production. Quite frankly, it's incredible.

This album was Kurt Cobain's best lyrical assualt on himself and the world. There are countless examples of sure brilliance on this cd. The 1st line of the 1st song, Serve the Servants, is perhaps the greatest opening line to a CD in history; given the context of the Nirvana explosion: "Teenage angst as paid off well/now I'm bored and old." Every song seems to have this great use self looked poetry, which seems to be abstract, but still centered around Cobain's world. This seems to be what separtes Kurt Cobain from other songwriters in that his words are often open to much interpretation and tend to seem a little out there. Furthermore, on this album Cobain is able to make use of some very creative imagery. Take the song Dumb, the 2nd verse goes: "my heart is broke can I have some glue, help me inhale and mend it with you, we'll float around and hang out on clouds, and then we'll come down and have a hangover." Its kind of like Kurt was painted a picture with his words. Its truly great. Lyrically definetly a 10.

This is the great Nirvana studio album! Forget about Nevermind, this was truly their best work in studio. I carefully say that it's their best studio work, mostly because their live stuff (Muddy Banks and especially Unplugged) are the best way to hear the band. Many people have complained about the amount of hard songs on the album, but they still fit in wonderfully and they're still done incredibly well. I challenge everyone to listen to every song carefully and examine it. This album was more about the art of the music, not the hooks, not the pop melodies, but the true art that lay behind the distortion and the mumbled, raspy, singing. Overall, this is on my top 10 list of best albums of all time. If I could give this album a higher mark I would. But I guess 10 will have to do.