In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 21, 1993
Nirvana: In Utero

The sound on this album was the best unsuprisingly as it was worked on very hard by the producers. Unlike Nevermind and Bleach, the songs on the album were written at the time of when it was being produced, whereas the other two albums contained songs that had been written up to 2 years before the album was released. It is still Nirvana's sound, but is made a bit clearer as on thia album the songs were less 'grungy'.

The lyrics on this album really are good. The first song has the lyrics that Kurt wrote about his childhood, which you can tell from the first two lines: 'Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.' His guitar playing on the album includes many of his trademarks; pick scraping, high pitched squealing noises and low pitched groans (all through feedback), and just a combination of tracks which each contain a hook riff. At the peak of his career, Kurt just sings through his normal voice that the world is/was used to, and thats really for me what makes this album a great one for Nirvana.

In comparison to their other two studio albums, I would rate this the same as nevermind, but not quite as entertaining as bleach. The best songs are Serve The Servants and Frances Farmer, all the other are really good to. Like Nirvana's other studio albums, there is not a track that I don't like. I love the cover and the inside booklet with pictures of Nirvana with the lyrics scribbled randomly on pages, but I don't like the back cover, it makes it confusing to read the track names! Also the bonus track is on the last track (All Apologies) which lasts 31:32, I think it would have been a better idea to put the bonus track as track 13! But that's Nirvana for you. If I lost this album, I would definitely buy a new one straight away.

nirvana4lf
    some of these reviewers are retarded they give shit reviews on nirvana lyrics and say they are unpoetic just because they dont get them. retards, this album was nirvanas best work by far, deserves a 10/10 in each area.