In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 21, 1993
Nirvana: In Utero

This is probably Nirvana's best album because it helped show off their grungier, raw side. I enjoyed the sound because of the noisier, feedback driven guitar and pounding drum beats. There is still the catchy melodic songs like off of "Nevermind" but it also has a harder, edgy side.

Well, I hate to be cliche, but it's Kurt Cobain, so the lyrics are good. There is a noticible difference between lyrics on this record and lyrics on their previous records for various reasons. For example, in "Scentless Apprentice," two new things happened: it is about a specific subject or theme (the book "Perfume") and it was written by all 3 members. There are more themed songs on this record unlike the last few with random lines made up a couple minutes before recording. The lyrics go unbelievably well with the music, as Kurt was a master at matching melody with rhythm. The vocals on this record were great, with the perfect pitch and tone for the music. He really was a talented singer.

Overall, I think this is Nirvana's record. There isn't a song I skip over, and I can't really say I have a favorite, because they're all really good. Everything seems to go together on this record, and there isn't much I don't like. I would definitely buy this record again if this one got lost/stolen.

Repitition
    imburningstar4 wrote: theres actually a bit of a concept under this album... but i'm not exactly sure what it is
    It's a medical theme by the sounds of it.
    poisonedheart13
    kurt is a lyrical genious and the mixture of sarcasm and sorrow really are effective in the overall project.
    I was here
    This is a great album that shows how Nirvana evolved both in music and lyrics, the best Nirvana album following Nevermind