In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 24, 2013
Nirvana: In Utero

On In Utero, Nirvana trades in the heavy metal meets the Beatles sound for a noise-rock approach, so, the sound quality is pretty terrible. But that is, for this album at least, a good thing. Kurt lays down some great riffs that are on some tracks corrosive and heavy (Tourette's, Scentless Apprentice), and other times very hooky (serve the servants, very ape). The rhythm section does a great job on this album, but doesnt't make it's prescence known as well as on Nevermind. The album does have songs that just don't seem to fit (Heart-Shaped Box, Rape Me, All Apoligies). These however, are arguably the best on the album. Everything about this album, even Kurt's voice, are a huge leap from Nevermind, but I consider it a must-own.

The theme of each song is different on this album. It leaps from medical lyrics (scentless apprentice, milk it), to self-hate (rape me, pennyroyal tea, dumb), to random screaming (tourette's). However, the lyrics fit very well with each song. Kurt's voice is probably the most pained on this album than the rest, and he seems to sound like he did on About A Girl from Bleach than he did on anything else. I have heard this album be described as a suicide note from Cobain, and hearing the voice and the scalding lyrics together proves the point.

This is one of the better (and most haunting) albums I have ever heard, but it does have some weak points. Sometimes the band seems to be floundering in massive amounts of feedback without any actual song structure. But, on the other hand, this is Nirvana's heaviest outing. Despite the heavy songs on the album, the softer ones seem to be the best, such as Dumb, All Apoligies, and Heart-Shaped Box. If this album somehow was lost or stolen, I would certainly get another copy immediately, and I suggest it to anybody.

Baltic Ave.
    Yeah and comparing Nevermind to this is crazy, this cd blows nevermind out of the water.... Nevermind is still awesome though....
    StringsofBlack
    The very fact that Pennyroyal Tea (the person here) thinks that Heart-Shaped Box is only for "fakes" or posers is laughable to me. The reason it become quote "mainstream" is because its really just that good. I purchased the best of Nirvana black album and i fell in love with Heart-Shaped Box. Easily one of my favorites of his and I'd never even heard it on the radio! *Gasp* And the idea that only fakes like Nirvana would make Kurt Cobain roll over in his grave. You don't have to be a die hard fan to enjoy Nirvana. That was the whole point! As long as you were a teen that loved agnst-ridden and rebellious music, you were included! And you dont even have to be a rebel or a teen to appreciate Cobains music! As Cobain sang on Come as You Are, "Come doused in mud, soaked in bleach, As I want you to be, As a trend, As a friend." Cobain didnt give a damn who you were! He just wanted you to join in the music. So to any diehard fans that think Nirvana is only for you....wake up. Thats sure ain't what Cobain wanted.
    mitch311
    All nirvana albums were awesome. I dunno if I like this or nevermind or bleach the best.