In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 21, 1993
Nirvana: In Utero

As Kurt Cobain said himself, this is the way Nirvana was always supposed 2 sound like. He never liked the poppy sound they had on Nevermind (he doubled the guitars on that CD to make it sound heavier). The guitars on this CD are great. From the solo of "Heart-Shaped Box" to the opening chords of "Rape Me" (which sounds close to "Smells Like Teen Spirit"), Kurt's guitar screams with passion. Just listen 2 "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter", the feed back is amazing! Dave's drums pound with intense passion, this being the first CD were he really contributes by making up his own drum beats (he was not part of Nirvana when they released "Bleach", and Chad Channing wrote most of the drum beats for "Nevermind", and the same thing for "Insecticide", with Dale Crover appearing on some songs). But I think Nirvana got better when Dave joined. And Krist's bass serves each song with a beautiful rythm. Sound gets a perfect 10!

Kurt Cobain's voice made Nirvana. If Nirvana got a new singer after Kurt died they wouldn't have had much success (that's why Krist never joined the Foo Fighters, they would've been Nirvana). As this CD was recorded the lyrics were thought to be to low, so they were boosted during the master recordings. That gave Kurt's voice an extra boost of power. Just listen to the screaming on "Tourette's" and the saddening sound on "Pennyroyal Tea" and you can hear Kurt's desperate voice at it's best. The lyrics, ranging from stories about his father to the Vanity Fair article about his wife, also get a 10.

This may be Cobain's favorite CD he ever made, but to me, "Nevermind" is better. The CD comes in a close second, though. It just makes me wonder what Nirvana could've made after this. It probably would've been great. The best songs on this album are "Heart-Shaped Box", "Rape Me", "Serve the Servants" and Pennyroyal Tea". I simply love everything about this cd, and gives me the chance to feel the energy Nirvana felt making this cd. If I lost this CD I would definetly go buy it again. This is a must for people who enjoyed "Nevermind", for people who like bands from the grunge movement, and people who know there are better song than "Smells Like Teen Spirit", because there are.

Me2NiK
    Am I the only one who finds it painfully ironic that Nirvana fans are bitching to other Nirvana fans about how Cobain specificially directed their music at them? It's a textbook example of Socratic irony. Group 1 doesn't get it and acknowledges that they don't get it but attempts to understand. Group 2, the majority, don't get it and pretend to get it -- some even genuinely believe they get it -- while simultaneously belittling group 1. Group 3, the smallest group of the three, get it and are fully capable of seeing through Group 2. Cobain directly antagonized the second group, the elitists that pretended to get it and sang along to In Bloom, the same ones who claim that Smells like Teen Spirit and Heart-Shaped Box are not "true" Nirvana songs, and that those who enjoy them aren't "true" Nirvana fans. That Cobain hated being popular was based on the enormous second group that really had no understanding of what they listened to and yet pretended they did anyway. He did NOT antagonize the first group, those who did not understand and were genuine in their misunderstanding (but equally genuine in their pursuit of understanding); he did not antagonize those who listened to Smells Like Teen Spirit, he antagonized those who listened to Smells Like Teen Spirit, didn't get it, and yet pretended to anyway (and proceeded to skip showers and dress like him). As a Nirvana fan I truly wish for this elitism and massive misinterpretation to come to an end.
    pigmaggots
    The review at the top is awful. In Utero is an awesome album, better than Nevermind in all ways...it mixed what I would view as the rawness of bleached mixed in with that hint of commercialism that parts of Nevermind had...plus In Utero had amazing lyrics !
    Chuks
    Nirvana Rocks!! My Favorite Song is Rape Me. In Utero Kick Ass!!!
    wildchild6660
    poisonedheart13 wrote: kurt is a lyrical genious and the mixture of sarcasm and sorrow really are effective in the overall project.
    Yeah i think kurts lyrics are right up there with jim morrison's. But kurt plays guitar two.
    G-man05
    in utero is perfection, put not on a silver platter, no nirvana decided lets see who the real fans are lets present half of the album to be gritty and almost seem like it wasn't produced at all, then take other songs and make them perfect to the exact note. what this album is is not that chrismas present that you always wanted wrapped in the best wrapping paper on earth, no it is practically wrapped in a newspaper. Getting back to the first statement it is perfect on a paper plate and a styrofoam cup.