In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 21, 1993
Nirvana: In Utero

In Utero is by far Nirvana's most dark and aggressive sounding album they ever made. The guitar playing is very heavy and the drumming is very loud on this album. Overall this album comes across to the listener as being very angry and tormented. In Utero is unlike any other grunge album and had some of the craziest solos Kurt Cobain ever belted out of his guitar. This album was probably not as influential as Nevermind but, it reveals the true music that Nirvana fans wanted their band to be known for.

In Utero contains the best thought out lyrics of any Nirvana album. The meaning in most of the songs are very dark and mysterious. Kurt Cobain definitely got his point across in this album with his lyrics. He showed his hatred towards the media, the music industry, and bandwagon fans who jumped on just because they had started a new "trend" and were all of a sudden the band to like. Kurt's singing in this album possesses a lot of controlled screaming that fit the guitar riffs. The songs that stick out lyrically are Heart-Shaped Box, Milk It, Very Ape, Scentless Apprentice, Pennyroyal Tea and Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle.

This album was the Anti-Nevermind. Nirvana knew they would lose fans making this album more dark and less "poppy". My favorite songs on In Utero are: Heart-Shaped Box, Rape Me, Serve the Servants, Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle, Pennyroyal Tea, and All Apologies. The only dislike on this album is the beginning of Radio Friendly Unit Shifter. I think it is that noise at the start ot the song that draws me away from it. The chorus sounds good though. I guess the title of the track reflects the irony the sound of the song has. If I lost In Utero I would buy it back beacause it has a lot more heart and soul put into it than any other Nirvana album.

godberry
    The guitar playing is amazing, with Dave Grohl in perfect beat playing on drum and complemented by Christ on bass.
    Wow! I wasn't aware Jesus Christ performed on this album. Now I know why it was so good.
    spiralozooid
    in utero is my favorite nirvana album. it is overshadowed by nevermind, which i like but it can get overplayed (guitar hero/rock band freaks). also i perfer d# tuning for nirvana.
    Joker12630129
    Definetly my Fav Album, not just of nirvana albums but any album ive ehard... its the only album ive connected with as much as i have... very real and aggressive.. and just ****ing alive! ..it has a pulse, as does nevermind, but nevermind ..hmmm, great album but In utero blows it out of the water for sure, like a few of you interesting people have said so far. I like that long coupel of paragraphs about the Nirvana fasn, group 1 2 and 3 and all that stuff, its ****in true lmao... I hate the brats that talk liek they no it all and force their opinion on others, your all dense for for even speaking up like you do... lol
    fendercobain87
    this was their best album it was very well wriiten i love how you can hear every guitar slide . i love the way his guitar sound was i like how he could chain so many effects together and get an amazing sound out of them. their will never be another kurt cobain.
    fendercobain87
    this was a great album from start to finish this album is probaly their best well every nirvana album was good but this album will always be my favorite good review
    stalefishtweak
    Do you gyus know what Nevermind and In Utero proved... That music doesn't have to be technically brilliant to make an impact..... Remember it was Nevermind that killed two bands named Motley Crue and Poison overnight..... But here is my opinion..... Kurt cobain was an amazing poet.... his lyrics were haunting I adore them.... but his vocals were nothing great and people talk about him as if he was a guitar god which i feel he wasn't..... also its easy to feel pity and sympathy for him because he loved his family and friends but he also gave alot of shit to eddie vedder and axl rose which was very unneccesarry..... he accused vedder of basking in the mainstream rock glory and gave axl the finger when he asked him if they could tour together.... true i dont know where i would be without my parents i feel bad that he had to go through that and marvel at the fact that he survived it but he also had his downsides..... Dirt, Ten and Superunknown are better albums in my opinion..... Nevermind and In Utero are really good too but nevermind was way too overrated...
    '93
    in utero was amazing...much better than nevermind imo... i love the early 90s albums like BSSM, ten, in utero...they have quite a bit in common, you could see most wee experiencing the same things, especially when it came to drugs and stuff
    Grammar_Master
    Excuse me but your grammar is Preposterous and makes me want to shit on my head. When you said "It is by far the best album Nirvana ever gave to the world" you mistakenly said "gave" instead of given. Very silly and I shall challenge you to a duel!