In Utero review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 21, 1993
Nirvana: In Utero

What I've found is that people either love or hate Nirvana, and this album is for sure a big factor in your opinion. I also noticed a lot of songs use a quiet loud dynamic. If you've heard a song from "In Utero", it was probably "Heart Shaped Box", which uses the dynamic well that creates a simple melody that explodes into loud overdriven madness. Songs like "Milk It" might strike you as odd at first but after a few listens you will probably like it. "Tourettes" is purely screaming and power chords but I still like it. And last but not least, the 13th and final track of the album, "All Apologies" is a calm, beautiful song. Nirvana is hard to like at first for many. Me? After I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time, I was hooked. The raw sound of the album differs from the polished, more poppy sound of "Nevermind", and was intended to throw off the fans that only liked Nirvana because it was cool at the time.

Some songs like "Milk It" and "Heart Shaped Box" have medical themes, like "I am my own pet virus", or "Throw me down your umbilical noose". Kurt was a really good songwriter who had deep meanings with his words. The opening line to "Serve The Servants" talks about the fame the band had received: "Teenage angst has paid of well, now I'm bored and old". "Scentless Apprentice" was written by Kurt and Dave, and is based off a novel called "Perfume" where a boy has a remarkable sense of smell but has no scent of his own. By the way, there is a good amount of screaming in the album. Especially in the song "Tourettes". The entire song is yelled. There's so much raw guitar and screaming but also catchy melodies as well. It's a great twist in my opinion.

I think that "In Utero" is a great album and is by no means worse than "Nevermind" or "Bleach". It's a great new sound that Kurt has said that he was looking to create. It's my favorite Nirvana album (And I'm a huge Nirvana fan) and sadly, the last. I love the emotion and raw sound, and really, I can't find a thing I hate about it. Do yourself a favor give it a try.

We, the Living
    Am I the only one here who thinks that most of these reviews are complete garbage? The ratings aren't the problem, this album definitely deserves HIGH ratings. First of all, if you're going to call yourself a Nirvana fan, at least learn the freakin lyrics before including incorrect ones in a review of such an amazing masterpiece. Second, Kurt Cobain has stated on MULTIPLE occasions that "Serve the Servants" is in no way connected to him whatsoever. He wrote the song with the intention of leaving himself out of it 100%. I couldn't even finish reading these reviews out of disappointment. I'm not saying the reviewer is a horrible person, I'm just saying they should have done their research before having the audacity to post something so disgusting.
    (sic)knot
    read "Come As You Are-the Story of Nirvana" awesome biography about the band and them as individuals.
    Northernmight
    It's funny, i like Bleach and in Utero AND Incestocide more than i live Nevermind. Strange that. Nevermind has the best cover EVER though.
    Ibeanez
    "Me? After I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time, I was hooked." ...and 3 times after that it was completely boring and useless.
    dr-g0nz0
    My favourite Nirvana album (Bleach a close second). It's also the album Steve Albini produced, so its an even better reason to have it as my fave.
    animemetalhead
    For everyone saying Nevermind was better, remember, more hits came off of this album than the first two combined. Granted they were smaller successes.
    Abacus11
    GREAT album! It gets overshadowed by "Nevermind" but it's their best in my opinion.
    Root Beer
    Best Nirvana album, period. Nevermind may be their most popular/commercial, but In Utero is the best representation of what kind of band Nirvana really was: noisy, gritty, sloppy, and crammed to the brim with angst and emotion.