Incesticide review by Nirvana

• Released: Dec 14, 1992
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Nirvana: Incesticide

'Incesticide' is Nirvana's compilation album. From their own copywritten material in 1988, to 1992 from Sub Pop to Geffen, this CD is wonderful. 3 Songs are covers of inspirations for Kurt Cobain, the Vaselines and another band I don't know. All of the songs included on this disc were pre-record company written songs from Kurt, along with the Kurt and Krist composition 'Dive'. It also includes the New Wave version of 'Polly', written by Kurt, Krist, and Dave. This CD shows signs of bad recording compared to other releases by Nirvana. Besides this fact, the CD is unique for Nirvana. It goes between poppy music and ball-bashing straight ahead rock. 01. Dive - one of my favorite songs off of this album, and quite possibly the best. Has hard-edge feel with excellent dynamics between the opening and other parts in the song. 02. sliver - a story-song inspired by multiple occasions of Kurt's childhood drop-offs to his grandparent's house in times of harshness between his parents. Creative, yet bland. 03. Stain - possibly a personal account of Kurt's feelings toward his significance in life. Intriguing, but not very entertaining. 04. Been A Son - not sure what to say of this. I don't find it anything really. Sort of a good loss for Nirvana for this not being well known. 05. Turnaround - poppy, upbeat. Not sure of who is covered on this one, but it's ok. 06. Molly's Lips - Vaselines cover. Great upbeat-ness to it. A better song on the album. 07. Son Of A Gun - another good Vaselines cover. More upbeatness. Very poppy. 08. (New Wave) Polly - very punk for Nirvana. Nice and quick, definately not as mellow as the 'Nevermind' acoustic version. Good variation of an already great song. 09. Beeswax - I'm not sure what I can say about this. The music sounds good, but the vocals are a little indecipherable. 10. Downer - a rawer version of what is heard on 'Bleach'. Maybe a little faster, but nothing new. 11. Mexican Seafood - a first-hand account from Kurt on bothering bathroom trips. Sort of creepy and insignificant. 12. Hairspray Queen - high-pitched screaming on Kurt's part. Indistinguishale stupidity really. I dislike everything besides the actual music behind it. 13. Aero Zeppelin - nice everything really. Nothing too much to complain about here. 14. Big Long Now - is just what it says. Big and long. The longest song on the CD at 5:03. Interesting trade between vocals and music. Sort of just "there". 15. Aneurysm - this song just does not make sense on this CD. It's just so good why did it have to be with such low quality stuff? Anyways, nice instrumental intro to the whole song from fast to very mellow and slow.

Kurt Cobain at his lowest pretty much. Oh well, he's still good for what he's done. The lyrics and music together make sense, on occasion.

I love that it has some good songs. I hate that it has many crap songs. I would buy it again, just to have it in my collection, but not necessarily to enjoy that greatly. Nice and raw, but at times too raw and inexperienced seeming. Impressive songs are 'Aneurysm' and 'Dive'. Nothing much else to say. If you love Nirvana, buy it. If you like Nirvana, check it out. If it's your first Nirvana, take this along with 'In Utero'. Compare and enjoy! Good album for what it's worth. I still love Nirvana though.