Incesticide review by Nirvana

• Released: Dec 14, 1992
Nirvana: Incesticide

Incesticide was an album all on its own, it passes as one of their studio album, no question. The songs are amazing, and I know it sounds lame just to say it like this, but weird. "Hairspray Queen" is one of the best Nirvana songs, great guitar, bass, drums, and yeah why not, vocals too. Any fan would not mind Cobain's style of voice, and it doesn't take a while to get used to, it just sounds incredible. Along with "Aneurysm" that is one of their best songs, this album is full of early Nirvana, raw, and angry, and alienated. "Sliver" is a powerful song, even though it's a simple one. "Beeswax" is another song that is a highlight of the album, the lyrics are impossible, and the sound is rich in dissonance. "Big Long Now" a song that I think is about aliens, is one of my favorites, and it's so rocking, any fan can hear it over and over again, louder and louder. "Aero Zeppelin" the best song in the album is pure Nirvana, it just sounds so good. Overall, the sound in Incesticide is pure agressive-alternative rock, lovely and messy, just like Nirvana.

Lyrics are great, in most of the songs, "Big Long Now" has very good lyrics, the one great lyric that stands out is "can we show our faces now". "Sliver" might be biographical, but we don't really know, either way, it's very good storytelling by Cobain. "Hairspray Queen" has funky vocals, and funky lyrics, "at night the itch so modest, at night the crisco loch ness, at night a mouthful omelet, at sight a fishful goblet, at night the witch go." This is a bit of the chorus, and the verse has an even weirder tone, surprisingly, the lyrics sound amazing, thanks to the way he sings it. "Stain" has to be the least lyrically rich song, just some very generic lines, with "I'm a stain" being repeated in the chorus, but that's ok, the song is good. "Mexican Seafood" just some random words put together, and they rhyme, very typical of Cobain, he never took it too serious, and that is why these lyrics are fantastic! The song is full of nasty stuff, that apparently he has, and he vomits this and that, and on the tile floor, and he fills his toilet bowl with more grungy stuff, very good song! "Aneurysm" has simple lyrics as well, but it has one line that I consider to be one of the best words in a song, in all of music, "Love you so much it makes me sick!". I don't know why, but I like how that sounds. I don't know if the song is about his dirty heroin addiction, or a love song, or double meanings! "Dive" has lyrics that really seem to be picked at random, much more than any other song in this album. "Been a Son" is some of Cobain's best lyrics, it's in a simple process, but they sound good, and they're helluva catchy, "She should have died when she was born, she should have worn the crown of thorns" best stuff right there. The best lyrics of the album come from "Aero Zeppelin" which is also the best song. The song starts off with some lines that are hard to grasp, but the chorus is killer, "all the kids will eat it up, if it's packaged properly. Steal a sound and imitate, keep the format equally. Not an ode, is just the facts, where our world in nowadays, an idea is what we lack, it doesn't matter anyways!" I don't know, but this describes the music today.

Compared to other albums, this album will come out on top. There is a song for everyone here, and that is good. Best song of the album "Aero Zeppelin" I just like how it sounds, and the lyrics are excellent. What I love about the album, is it has a lot of songs, and all are good, bad part is that most people that say they like Nirvana don't like their non-commercial sound. I would buy this album if it was stolen, or if I lost it, I wouldn't mind wasting money that I needed for something else, Nirvana is more important!

Andian03
    Well, some of you have to remember that Kurt's and Krist's early influence came from Punk. (New Wave) Polly was Kurt putting a New Wave spin on the song. This was released in 1992 but most of the songs go as far back as 1984. So it shouldn't be a big surprise that it sounds more Punk than Grunge.