Live! Tonight! Sold Out! [DVD] review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 7, 2006
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Nirvana: Live! Tonight! Sold Out! [DVD]

This DVD was originally concieved by Kurt Cobain as it states at the beginnning of the film. Unfortunately he did not finish it before his unfortunate expiration. Nirvana entertains with their usual hard, yet poppy, songs full of feedback. Songs featured include: Come As You Are, About A Girl, and a goth rendition of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Content — 10
You put the DVD in and the first thing it does is play an old ad for a music college. Then it goes to the menu. When you play the actual film from the menu it starts with Kurts rendition of the star-spangled banner with his guitar before entering "Aneurysm".The set list is full of songs ranging from all of their albums and is very well selected. Extras include 4 additional live performances in Amsterdam.

Production Quality — 10
The sound quality is amazing as it is mixed in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. Listening to this DVD on my surround sound I felt like I was actually at the performances.Adding to that they did what most music DVD's don't. They had the interviews and band "moments" between songs. Some people might not like that but it appealed to me and shows you the humor and intelligence of this band.

Nirvana, a band who is considered the voice of it's generation lives up to it's name by delivering a buffet of amazing live performances, playing not only their hits but lesser-known songs as well. This DVD overall is a good one as it offers insight into the crazieness yet hilarity of this legendary band. It shows a side of the band most people don't see.If I were to lose this DVD it would definitely be worth the money to have it again.

red157
    Final !mpact wrote: first post
    Congratulations, what a contribution.
    timherold
    the 'goth' version of Smells Like Teen Spirit didn't rly strike me as a gothic rendition. i saw it more as a self-mockery
    Jordan Dixon
    is the goth version of smells like teen spirit any good
    SlashIsGod091
    Jordan Dixon wrote: is the goth version of smells like teen spirit any good Yea, it's from Top Of The Pops, and they were told they couldn't play live, they had to mime their imstruments. Which pissed them off, so they just basically make a joke out of the whole performance. The so called "gothic" version isn't really gothic...it's what timherold said....it's a self mockery because in it Kurt Cobain says "Load up on drugs/ Kill your friends"
    Warehouse
    Without a doubt my favorite video about a band... the interviews, random ass footage and setlist of lesser-known songs all rock... Plus, Nirvana is amazing live and you will see a side of the band that you can't discern just from listening to studio albums. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes rock.
    there is a long and creepy part in this dvd...its when Kurt says "cause they respect us,but with" and it starts...a lot of footage,weird cuts and i even acidentaly found a photo (green and black) of a cryng man or smth
    Rockstar112
    yeah he died when i was 1 so i really enjoyed seeing this vid cuz i never got to see nirvana
    awsm_guitarist
    i had fun watching this dvd.. this is the first time i saw nirvana do concerts.. because kurt died when i was 2..
    AmatuerFender
    Heart Shaped Box got me caught up in the feeling...I'm addicted and I can't stop!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!