Nevermind review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 23, 1991
Nirvana: Nevermind

Alright, before you start reading this you should know I am a Nirvana freak. I've read 13 books on Kurt Cobain, and collect pretty much anything with his face or Nirvana on it. What can I say? They're the band that got me into music. However, it's also important to point out I can't stand most music like Nirvana. I love the old grunge, but as far as shit like Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace go don't blow me off as some idiotic teenager. This review is coming from a guy who listens to Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, the Doors, etc in his time. So of course what Nirvana is so famous for is combining the energy of punk (from the Sex Pistols to Husker Du) with the melodies of the Beatles. Since Nirvana, lots of bands have tried this same formula, but whether you like them or not, you have to admit Kurt Cobain was deffinitely a genius at this. The instruments thrash out with angst and pain, while still keeping up steady melodies that will be stuck in your head the rest of the day. And as worn out as this formula is, remember Nirvana practically invented this style.

Alright, obviously Nirvana would not be Nirvana without Kurt Cobain. Infact, more people probably know of Kurt Cobain then know of Nirvana. He was the songwriter for his generation. He (in my opinion) falls in league with the likes of Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison, and John Lennon. The lyrics are probably the best thing about any Nirvana song. Kurt had a magnificent way of writing off what at may first seem to be just catchy nonsense, but actually had deep inner meanings. 01. Smells Like Teen Spirit - no comment needed. Almost everyones heard this song. "A call to arms for a misfit generation". 02. In Bloom - an incredibly catchy song, that ironically has everyone singing it that it was directed at. 03. Come As You Are - a eerie and haunting guitar part, accompanied by a ghostly monotone Kurt. 04. Breed - a high energy mosh song. This is one to get the adrenaline pumping. 05. Lithium - a song about a paranoid schizoprhanic. Starts out soothing, almost like a camp fire sing along, and then explodes. 06. Polly - a haunting acoustic number about a rape victim who escaped by acting like she enjoyed it. 07. Territorial Pissings - a raw, all punk song. One of my favorite Nirvana songs. 08. Drain You - a sappy song about love and heartbreak. Wrote about ex-girlfriend Tobi Vail (from the band Bikini Kill). 09. Lounge Act - one of the weaker tracks on the CD, but deffinitely not bad. Another song wrote about Tobi. 10. Stay Away - in my opinion, the weakest track on the CD. Despite some cool lyrics from Kurt, the song is pretty average. 11. On A Plain - one of the CDs best. This is the song where Kurt's Beatle/Bob Dylan influence shines most brightly. 12. Something In The Way - a haunting, depressing song about Kurt living under a bridge. (Side note-He never actually lived under a bridge). Still, the perfect downer for the CD to end with. Through all of these Kurt's voice is of course amazing. However, after hearing him live, some of the affect is taken away from the polish of the CD. Still, Kurt is one of the best vocalist ever in my opinion, and on each track his voice bristles with emotion.

Some want to be Nirvana fans would say this is the throw away record. That this isn't what Kurt invisioned Nirvana as. They would be wrong. This CD, despite what Kurt said in the media, is everything Kurt wanted Nirvana to be. He may of tried to act like a renegade punk rocker, but Kurt was a melodic pop loser at heart. Nevermind is the album that got me into music and all things rock, so I owe it my life. True, I said Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was the best rock album of all time, but this still remains as my favorite album of all time, and I can recommend it to almost anybody. Whether you're a new kid on the rock scene who enjoys My Chemical Romance or Three Days Grace, to the oldies who enjoy the Beatles and Bob Dylan, to the punks who enjoy Sex Pistols and Ramones. The album is accesible to anybody who isn't going into it narrow minded. Ignore all the hype around Kurt and his death, and just enjoy the music. If somebody stole this from me, I'd buy it back that day. I've already bought it back once. I love almost everything about the album, and truthfully can't find one thing to hate on it. Some would say that nothings perfect, and in turn, I would direct them to this album.