Nevermind review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 23, 2011
Nirvana: Nevermind

Nirvana's 1991 release 'Nevermind' is clearly the best-known album of the nineties. Starting with the teen anthem 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', 'Nevermind' starts off on the right foot and leads to everlasting stardom for Nirvana. Nirvana's sound varies from song to song. There's really no way of even attempting to classify all the songs in one word. 01. Smells Like Teen Spirit - one of the more well-known tracks off of the album, also one of the hardest-rocking songs. Sound is angsty, hard, and seemingly rotten. 02. In Bloom - one of my favorites off the disc. Lyrics and sounds are some of my favorites also. I have a hard time classifying this song. 03. Come As You Are - another better-known song. Sound is unique and quite eerie. 04. Breed - Nirvana's Seattle-punk roots shine through along with Kurt's excellent lyrical style. One of my favorites. 05. Lithium - a great soft-rock/dirty mix for this song. Excellent all around. Actually, one of the first songs from Nirvana I really acquainted myself with. 06. Polly - acoustic version, no drums persay. You get the occasional crash symbol, but nothing more. Also has Dave doing doubling vocals. Nice break in the CD. 07. Territorial Pissings - more punk roots shining in this song. Repetitive lyrics, but great at the same time. Very sarcastic and raw sounding song. Another favorite. 08. Drain You - pretty much the love song of grunge. Great song all around. Awesome effects use at the break-down with massive reverb. 09. Lounge Act - basically a slowed-down hard punk sound. It's a nice mix along with the other songs up to this point. Great lyrics as usual. 10. Stay Away - the final version of 'Pay to Play' (can be found on 'With the Lights Out-Disc 2'). I personally like 'Pay to Play' better, but this version does quite fine with the variation of the CD. 11. On A Plain - very strange lyrics and sound, but nonetheless a good song. 12. Something In The Way - great folk rock-like song. The story it tells of Kurt Cobain's supposed life under a bridge in Aberdeen in his childhood for a couple months. Nice soft sound.

It's Kurt Cobain. What do you expect? Lyrics are the best ever.

I love the variation of this album. It's got a great mix of soft, punk, and hard rock. I dislike that they didn't include 'Opinion' and their version of Velvet Underground's 'Here She Comes Now. ' Those might have been nice additions to the varying styles included on the album. Definately not my suggested Nirvana CD if you're first being introduced because I think 'Incesticide' would be nice for the new-comer. Great album from Nirvana.