Nevermind review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Nirvana: Nevermind

The band has a constant sound. The verse have excellent bass lines, little or no guitar, and hard drum beats. Then the build-up (an important part in the Nirvana sound) especially in 'Teen Spirit' jumps into a powerful chorus with loud distorted power chords, sped up bass and Dave Grohl's pounding drums. This recording musically mixes the punk simplicity with Led Zeppelin hard rock chops. Smells Like Teen Spirit the best song on the album, features the catchy head bobbing guitar hook leading to the rest of the band joining. The verse features Krist Novoselic's slithering bass and a fast tempo version of Queen's We Will Rock You on drums. Then the build-up Hello, Hello, Hello, How Low into the legendary chorus with the return of power chords. The solo like most solos on the album (excluding In Bloom) follows the vocal pattern of the verse.

The lyrics don't match with one idea, no matter what people say. If you're looking for meaningful lyrics don't buy this CD. The lyrics do still make some sense though. The verses don't match with each other. Smells Like Teen Spirit's lyrics are the best as far as matching with the music. In Bloom contains a line in the chorus that tells you the lyrics don't mean anything. On a Plain is the best example of not having the verse lyrics correspond with each other. The final track Something In The Way has somewhat meaningful lyrics. Kurt Cobain's vocals (like him or not) are the best match with the style of grunge.

In my opinion the best album ever. Definitley the best Grunge album ever. Only Boston's Boston and GN'R's Appetite can compete with it. I love that every song on the album is great. The best song is probably Smells Like Teen Spirit. Even though overshadowed by the 4 breakout singles (Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Lithium, and In Bloom) there are songs that could've have reached equal success mainly Drain You. Not to mention, the closing song (Some pressings contain Endless, Nameless) Something in the Way with Dave Grohl's rare light drum playing. If this was stolen I would go to the store and buy this 1, 000 times over and listen to each copy in entirety.

alucardmik
    shoeaces709 your now one of the most hated perople on UG. bassplayer496 your a single minded dip shi*. [and i bet i could beat you at a bass contest too] rock.king567 grow ears of get a hearing aid as you cannot hear words. iquitemyscene13 however is a stupid emo kid who rejects old styles of music and we all should throw rocks at him for disrespecting not only nirvana but the entire genre. when you say crap like rolling stones said its good and its wrong you are being stupid! do you seriously think we are gonna take your judgement over rolling stone magazine? people who say anything is over rated are ignorant fools who think they are too good to enjoy music enjoyed by the masses. the thing is. you people bagging nirvana a Losers. your comming onto this page not to share your opinion on something but in an attempt to belittle others and make them feel down. people here like me looking at this review are just seeing how people would describe nirvanas greatness. so screw you! if the ideas of grunge is to sound bad... why does the reveiw right here for nevermind say 9?! clearly people like nirvana. and bagging people now we dont like you so if youve come here to bag nirvana piss of. your unwanted go back to your emo music.
    StringsofBlack
    My God the hate in this room is palpable. I'm sorry guys if you dont think Kurt was a great singer...fine its understandable. If you want to say Kurt borrowed from a lot of other bands....all bands do that to some extent. But one thing that ANYONE has to admit is that Kurt was a great poet. Look at Heart-Shaped Box. It borderlines on misogyny, but its absolutely brilliant. Try to atleast be objective when you rate his albums. Don't just bash or trash Nirvana or Kurt or ESPECIALLY grunge or people wont listen to a thing you have to say, because to them and me...nothing you have to say is important.
    ragflesh
    yeah what the jughead in ur head punk! nirvana is the best band than ur peanut thought!
    iquitmyscene13
    British Josh
    iquitmyscene13 wrote: Haha. Nirvana's title as the "best grunge band ever" is just hysterical. Grunge in itself was a musical approach to sound as bad as possible. Kurt's lyrics were always predictable and there's nothing poetic about shooting up heroin religiously. I don't see why this guy has gone down in history books as a great when he did nothing of the sort. Dave Grohl was the best member, and the only reason is because he left Nirvana, cleaned up his life, and moved on to bigger and better things like the Foo Fighters, who play actual music. So I guess the title "best grunge band ever" fits, because that would imply they're the worst musicians to date.
    two words... THANK YOU!
    rock.king567
    I actually hate Nirvana it's just impossible to make out a word he is saying. I am more into seventies band like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple but I like nineties rock but in my opinion Nirvana are the worst band of the nineties.
    bassplayer496
    Well, I think Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time, and this is the most overrated album. When someone calls Kurt a great guitar player or vocalist, I just get angry. He just mumbles. I like bands like Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and some pearl jam, but I can't even listen to this. And I hate how many of the riffs on here were snatched from pixies, and band that blows nirvana out of the water. This is usually considered the best album of the nineties, and that's bull****. Some of my favorite albums of the nineties are The downward spiral by nine inch nails, loveless by my bloody valentine (No they're not some crappy emo band) Superunknown by soundgarden, OK computer by radiohead, siamese dream by the smashing pumpkins. I think this is the most overrated album of all time, and if you want to assult me with the keyboard, go right ahead. Rolling stone magazine rated this as the 17th greatest album of all time and the best album of the nineties, and that's just wrong. Same with calling smells like teen spirit the best song of the last twenty five years, God what a mistake. Well, I'm done ranting, but this is very overrated with talentless singing and very mediocre lyrics. Listen to some pixies and you might hear some farmiliar sounding riffs. ~Love, Dallas~