Nevermind review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Nirvana: Nevermind

When Kurt Kobain wrote songs, he always concentrated on sound first. This album came out of nowhere in 1991 and soon came to be the real start of alternative music worldwide. Nirvana is a grunge group, a grunge group consisting of a guitar, a bass, and a drum set. Grunge sort of is a mix between punk rock and heavy metal, with distorted sounds and a mixture of melodies instead of a centralized or recognizably centralized guitar, bass, or drum part. A good example of this can be sited in the song "Come as You Are", which maintains a constant rythm guitar riff throughout the song, but the guitars, bass, and drums progress through the song to build up a heavier sound. In a unique style of playing, Nirvana perfected the term grunge, although not as prevailent today, grunge became a nationwide trend in the 90s, largely due to this album. However, we can still see alternative music existing today that has survived and become amazingly succesfull, majorly because of this album. This is one of my favorite albums of all time and is very melodic when you are able to identify the beat and progression. This album definatly deserves 10/10, being one of the landmarks in the history of rock.

Like the music, the lyrics are mellow and apathetic, influence becoming independent and confronting the challanges we face throughout life. Kobain, at the time, was feeling apathetic in his relationships with his family, peers, and God, which, unfortunatley, might have lead to his suicide in 1994. However, the legacy he left behind in his lryics tells us to sympathize with our fellow man, to "come as we are", hide nothing, don't be afraid, just get out whatever you need to get off of your chest. Ulimately, just feel for others. The lyrics in this album get you to think, and thus, the beauty of music - everyone has there own take and opinion.

You can't compare this album to any predessecor of this or any other band, as it was one of the first focal alternative albums in popular culture. Being a landmark in the history of rock, people who love music and history can't be without this album, not only as a milestone in rock, but in all of music, and the entire culture of the human race, and our ability to sympathize and feel for others. It marks a point in history when we progressed in society to become more independent, and free from others, which has ultimatly influenced the urge to grow up and become independent, espicially in teens of the time. A must own.

delos666
    Grunge _hippie wrote: This Is THE BEST ALBUM EVER!!!definitly the best grunge album ever!!!Nirvana is the best band the world has ever known and will always be it is a great pity that kurt cobain died the bassist and drummer are also wery talented.every song in the album is great.What ever happened to grunge all there is now is pearl jam! even silverchair has gone to the dark side!
    Coldiscool
    i think rolling stones magizine is shit.the list made me laugh. nirvana is the shit. (of course thats my ipinion and is subjective) As Me2NiK elequently put it comes down to taste, stop hatin on people who whould rather have something else. In a comment box you get to voice your ipinion, not say your ipinion is somehow righter then the others.