Nevermind review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Nirvana: Nevermind

Nirvana is described as part of the "Seattle sound" and "grunge sound" but actually they had many punk and rock infulences that shine through on this album. The sound of the album is something different from what the '80s was, '80s being "hair metal" such as Poison and Quiet Riot. Till Nirvana and many others burst onto the scene with this new sound. The music style is grunge because of the way Kurt's guitar is distorted and how his voice fits with the style he's playing. Overall the sound is great, I have learned many on guitar myself and this is definetley a great album.

The lyrics on this album are very hard to make out because of Kurt's unusual singing voice.Though the lyrics are very deep and all have meaning behind them. Kurt always hid messages behind his songs and if you listen you can tell every story behind the songs by listening to the words. The lyrics also mix with the music and how it's played for example "Smells Like Teen Spirit" has the perfect sound for the lyrics and voice and how he's playing it. Also the Verse bass run for "In Bloom" sounds perfect to match with the song. The singing skills on this album are less than perfect but they do fit the lyrics and music. Kurt's words were very hard to figure out because of how he sung it but to me it blends right in with the album.

This is one of their best albums because of the hits and how this put them on the top of the charts.Though not my favorite, I think In Utero is their best. The most impressive song in my opinion is Come As You Are because of the verse riff and how much it stands out on the album. Also Drain You and Polly are two that stand out on the album. I love the sound of the album and how it all seems to come together right, But I hate some of the songs on the album such as Stay Away, Breed and Lounge Act.I also love the hidden track "Endless, Nameless" on the album too. If it were stolen I would be in the store the next day to buy one because it is one of my absolute favorites and I listen to it quite a bit.