Nevermind review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 23, 1991
Nirvana: Nevermind

Nevermind, what can I say, definitely the greatest grunge album ever released and in my opinion the greatest album ever released. Anyway, this album differs substantially from Nirvana's first album, Bleach, it's a more polished sound, yet with keeps it's punk origins, this is really the album that gave birth to the grunge phenomena. Every song has a cathcy melody and will have you nodding your head to the rhythm Nirvana create and every solo, so simple yet so effective will have you playing air guitar. I'll rate every song individually now. 01.Smells Like Teen Spirit: so catchy for such a simple riff, you'll just want to rock out to this one.Amazing //10 02.In Bloom didn't instantly draw me in, but one your pulled in by the melodic guitar riffs, it'll blow your mind //9 03.Come As You Are: an instantly recognisable sound at the start, mixed with some great lyrics and different monotones in Kurt's voice, you'll be hooked //10 04.Breed: fast, abrasive, a typical grunge sound//8 05.Lithium: a smooth intro, of simple but effective riffs, exploding into a chorus of fast guitar riffs and Kurt's voice shines in this one//10 06.Polly: not a typical Nirvana song, but a haunting song about a rape victim who escaped, Kurt's voice is deep and hurtful in this song, excellent.//9.5 07.Territorial Pissings: probably my least favourite song of the album, but still punky, fast and will get the adrenaline pumping//7.5 08.Drain You: a song, which experiments with raw grunge yet goes iin and out of grunge and light rock.//8 09.Lounge Act: fast, smooth, lyrics you can't understand, Kurt with a crazily fast voice, a polished but good sound.//9 10.Stay Away: a song with a fantastic drumbeat and some catchy lyrics "Monkey say, Monkey Do".//9 11.On A Plain: great lyrics, soothing yet, abrasive melody to it, great monotones to Kurt's voice here.//9.5 12.Something In The Way: to enjoy this song you need to understand Kurt, a very haunting, slow song, with some eerie yet deep lyrics//8.5

Some great lyrics here, most people see Kurt's lyrics as just fast and catchy, but make no sense. But underneath his misunderstood lyrics, lies the lyrics of a moody genius who can change songs, with his moods and writes exactly what comes to his mind, even if it's fast, aggressive, he'll get his point across. Brilliant in my opinion, even if you don't understand them.

Great album, way too many good songs in these, all these songs are strong, fast, loud, abrasive, aggressive yet in some songs his voice can epitomise the moody melodies of some of the softer songs. At his best when screaming out fantastically catchy lyrics, yet keep a melody and polish to them that most rock fans can enjoy Nirvana. Kurt's amazing yet credit to Dave Grohl for his explosive drumbeats with keep the songs pace up, and Krist Novoselic for his background bass, which keeps the songs going in there quieter moments. Best album ever in my opinion, definitely best album of the 90's.

stalefishtweak
    To all those people who take magazine opinions like rolling stone or kerrang etc... etc.... all you gyus hav made your statements in such a way that it looks as though what rolling stone has said is the gospel truth..... we dont wanna hear what other people hav said .. we only want to hear what you say and in my opinion anyone who just paraphrases other peoples statements doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.... you can make right or wrong statements but they hav to come from yourself..... that being said.... Kurt Cobain was a great lyricist... he wrote subtle but great lyrics which sadly most people cannot or choose not to comprehend which is sad... the music he composed was not technically brilliant but it had that 'energy'. The 'energy' I am writing about is the energy that made me cry when I heard Barack Obama's Victory speech, which made Guns and Roses the rock band of a generation, and which also made Nirvana the band that changed it all... Now Technichally Kurt Cobain is not a great guitarist... his solos are not so great and he does tend to use the same chords again and again and his vocals are not amazing.... they are good but no where near as good as Lane Stanley(I Think i was him correct me if i am wrong) on Man in the box... Krist Novoselic was just like a pure backup bassist he never did much amazing stuff but im not complaining he did his job well.... Dave Grohl was as far as talent goes in kurt's league or maybe evne higher..... solid drummer and an animal behind the kit....amazing!!! I feel that nirvana is overrated but they are nevertheless a band deserving of the legendary title... but I personally prefer guns n roses , alice in chains pearl jam etc... they had the energy and the techniques to back it up..... and as for ranking kurt cobain higher than eddie van halen.... you could rank slash or even hammett above eddie van halen but not kurt.... as a guitarist he isn't as good but as an overall musician he is better than them.....
    mate_jebate
    there are some good tracks on this album (lithium, come as you are). but these tracks are good, nothing more. rest of the album is more or less lame with cheap guitar riffs and boring lyrics. i think this is most overrated album ever. this album is not that bad, but so many people giving it 10 out of 10 is realy funny. kurt was great, charismatic guy (not that great musican) with good ideas. but it doesnt mean that his songs are that great. anyway his fans will always be blinded by everything he ever did and theyll always overrate this album and all of his work.