Nevermind review by Nirvana

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Nirvana: Nevermind

If you haven't heard Nirvana you are either a) jazz fan, b) deaf, or c) living under a rock. This is THE most important band of the last 25 years and "Nevermind" is their most important album. The variety of music on this album goes from pop-rock to grunge to punk and all the way back. The album is mainly known for smells like teen spirit, the song that catapulted Kurt Cobain and Nirvana to superstardom, yet it isn't the best song on this near perfect album. The grinding, heavy guitars compliment the Beatle-esque pop melodies and the contrast between quiet verses and loud choruses work in a way that only one band can get away with. They did it on this album.

If the sound and music are legendary, the lyrics are godly. Certain lines stick out such as "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you", "We can plant a house, we can build a tree" and "Truth covered in security, I won't let you smother me". The lyrics are as good as they get on an album since Lennon and McCartney. Kurt's voice is definitely divisive as the raspiness and rawness doesn't suit every person's ears. This said though the vulnerability of Kurt Cobain's vocals show a man that means every single word that he sings, shouts or cries.

This album is as relevant 20 years after release as it was 20 years ago. It is almost flawless and the production is near perfection. If this album was stolen I would buy it again although I own 2 copies of it anyway. Buy this album if you don't have it already.

Hungra
    Me2NiK wrote: Grunge is dissonant punk. It is not an attempt to sound as bad as possible. To label Grunge as that is to miss the point entirely. Many genres are based off of dissonance, like Jazz, for instance. Is Jazz bad music? No. Various strands of heavy metal are also fundamentally rooted in dissonance, particularly the mathcore camp. Is that bad music? No. Is it hard for many to listen to? Sure. But that's where this magical thing called "taste" comes in. I can understand someone not liking Nirvana; in fact, that's perfectly fine by me, because I understand the concept of taste. But when you try to back up not liking a band with so-called empirical evidence is when you just start to sound like a nut in my head. The fact is, there's no concrete proof of Nirvana being a "bad" band or a "good" band, so come off it and let people enjoy what they do. It ultimately comes down to taste. I'm also interested to know what qualifies Nirvana's lyrics as "predictable". Also, Cobain was not a regular heroin user until well after Nevermind was released and went gold; the album you're looking to criticise here is called In Utero. Also, comparing Bone Machine to Smells Like Teen Spirit leads me to believe that you haven't heard either. Bassline of SMTS - F Bb Ab Db Bassline of Bone Machine - D A C G Speaking in terms of intervals (with F and D being the root, respectively), that's 1 4 b3 b7 for Smells Like Teen Spirit and 1 5 b7 4. Not even close. I guess you could make the argument that they're both minor and both start on he root, but by that logic virtually every song ever written in the minor scale is a plagurism off of Bone Machine. I won't even mention the dynamic and tempo differences, nor will I mention the obvious difference in fundamental rhythm. Before you make wild accusations do a little ****in' research. Last thing, I swear (damn, it's just so easy to criticise). Actual music? Music is noise. If grunge is basically syncopated noisemakers then they're damn well close to actual music.
    This guy is probably the most sensible one here..