Sliver: Best Of The Box review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 1, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Nirvana: Sliver: Best Of The Box

After buying this album I thought it came with promise and sufficent intrest. All Nirvana's unreleased work combained into a neat album which would make you proud to have in your CD collection, sadly I was mistaken. This Nirvana album was a money making scheme and full of rubbish tracks such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (boom box) really are unlistenable the sound quility really is poor but in respect to geffen they made a good job of trying to re-master the sound. The album provides intrest and an inside look on the raw Nirvana but fails to provide enything you can get your teeth into.

The album lrics are hard to access on such a poor quility of sound on some of the tracks but I give Kurt merit for songs such as Sappy and Sliver as I feel at ease with his strong and powerfull vocals, unfortunatley there is no mix between the instruments or vocals it's either main focus on Kurt's voice with a light insrumental background or focused on the instruments with Cobain's vocals in the midst. I only give credit to "Sappy" as both lyrical and instrumentals are balanced.

My overall impression on the album is dissapointment and I really do consider myself a true Nirvana fan. I really hated all the crakling and buzz in the background of all the home demo's these were not good enough to be put on any album. "Sappy" was the onli high quality track on the whole album and "Mrs. Butterworth" in my opinion was the only track which made me realise what a great band Nirvana were and really got me tapping my feet. The advice I'll give to evarybody out there is buy In Utero or Nevermind becouse that is the real Kurt Cobain and Nirvana or if you want to hear the raw side of the band buy Bleach becouse it's a fantastic outlook on the grunge kings. I'll end my review by saying geffen made a few bob on ripping me and fellow Nivana fans off so thanks alot.