Sliver: Best Of The Box review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 1, 2005
Nirvana: Sliver: Best Of The Box

I thought this cd was great. It was extremely grungy. This cd is for the hardened nirvana fan, as newcomers to Nirvana will probably be turned off by some of the noisy recordings. It might also be for the person who doesn't want to spend 30 bucks on the box set, but still wants to get the best from it for half the price. This CD has three previously unreleased tracks, which personally I find fascinating. One in particular, Spank Thru, is especially good. It is from Cobain's former group, Fecal Matter, and is from 1985. A rare gem indeed. This album has many cool treats for the hardcore fan. They include: live version on Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker, "Opinion" solo acoustic radio appearance, "Lithium" solo acoustic radio appearance, home demo of Teen Spirit and Rape Me, numerous outtakes. The sound is grungy, but is music to the diehard's ears.

The lyrics were great. They were based on personal experiences and observations. Some of the lyrics are even deep if you stop and think about them. However, I never really have, as I have been to busy listening to this CD! Anyway, the lyrics fit the songs perfectly, and Cobain is a master of the voice.

This is yet another compilation of some sort or another of rare Nirvana songs. There are some albums like this, such as Outcesticide, Rare Nirvana, and of course With the Lights Out. This album however, throws in alot more variety, (being the best from the box set) whether it be through crazy live renditions of songs, rare home demos, or on the fly acoustic renditions of classics. Also, this compilation spans the entire career of Nirvana, and even goes back before the band technically existed. I was most impressed with the Nevermind Outtake "Old Age" and the 1990 studio demo "Sappy." These songs sound so modern, even though they are 15 years old already. When listening to these songs, (and really anything Nirvana ever did) it is very easy to see how they shaped and created the alternative metal music that we have today. There's really nothing to hate about the album. Sometimes the recording isn't that great on the home demo's, but hey, they're home demo's. Besides, it just adds to rawness of it all. If this cd was lost, I would promptly replace it. If you're a diehard Nirvana fan, go out and treat yourself to Sliver: Best Of The Box.