Soaked In Bleach [DVD] Review

artist: Nirvana date: 12/14/2015 category: compact discs
Nirvana: Soaked In Bleach [DVD]
Released: Aug 14, 2015
Whatever theory you hold surrounding Kurt Cobain's death, "Soaked in Bleach" will definitely make you re-examine your thoughts and ideas about those who surrounded Cobain toward the end of his life.
 Content: 8
 Production Quality: 8
 7.6
 7.8
 7.3
 13,607
review (1) pictures (3) 26 comments vote for this album:
Soaked In Bleach [DVD] Reviewed by: cemerson2012, on december 14, 2015

Sound: "Soaked in Bleach" is a documentary/dramatic re-creation hybrid film that details the mysterious and often theorized events of Kurt Cobain's final days. The film revolves around the findings of Tom Grant who is a former LA County patrol officer turned private investigator who was hired by Courtney Love to seek out Cobain after checking himself out of a treatment facility. The 88 minute duration details interviews of individuals ranging from Cobain's close friends to experts in field of death investigations while containing dramatic recreations of events involving Grant and Love. There are also a number of recorded conversations between Grant and other key players in the story.

"Soaked in Bleach" marks the directorial debut of Benjamin Statler, who co-wrote and produced the film "Act of Valor." The title of the film is derived from a line in the song "Come as You Are" off the album "Nevermind." I found the story to be told in a very interesting manner. I am not a fan of documentary/dramas as I feel a lot of the details of the story are lost or embellished for the sake of drama. This is not the case with this film. I found the dramatic scenes engaging and they certainly added to the experience. The recreations are satisfactory performed by docu-drama standards. // 7

Overall Impression: "Soaked in Bleach" references a couple other Kurt Cobain documentaries that I have yet to see. I would definitely like to see those to draw a comparison. It seems that Tom Grant's facts are all there and the conclusions he draws are not all that farfetched. Is it possible he could be misinterpreting the so called evidence, but he answers more questions than he leaves unanswered for me. I feel the film does Cobain's legacy justice. I do wish however it would have at least covered some of the musical impact he and Nirvana had on the world. By all rights, someone who does not understand the massive figure that Cobain was might not appreciate the film as much as others. There is little set up explaining why there were so many questions surrounding his death in the first place. I would suggest it to any Nirvana fan. I by no stretch am a huge fan of Cobain or Nirvana, but I found the story riveting and quite interesting told from the perspective of Grant. It's definitely worth the hour and a half watch and I would again provided it was still available via Netflix. Whatever theory you hold surrounding his death, "Soaked in Bleach" will definitely make you re-examine your thoughts and ideas about those who surrounded Cobain toward the end of his life. // 8

Comments