Unplugged In New York review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 1, 1994
Nirvana: Unplugged In New York

This album basically sounds really good but it's not perfect. After every other Nirvnaa being all rage and distortion its refreshing to hear they in a more relaxed and more emotional setting. Kurt seems to have made more of an effort to make is guitar work a bit more sophisticated, Krist is excellent on bass and Dave is brilliant, if a bit under utilized on the drums. I had always thought that the only real problem with Nirvana's sound was its depth so the addition of Pat Smear on guitar and a cello adds a lot the feel of the music. Overall very good and a definate improvment.

Since there are no new songs on the album its hard to comment on the lyrics themselves, more on their excellent delivery. As I have always maintained, it is more important to convey emotion in vocals than to hit every note right on the head and Kurt certainly does this. Songs like 'Lake of Fire' and 'All Apologies' blow you away with raw emotion and even though the lake of powerful music makes Kurt's voice sound a little hollow and raw at times, this is easily overlooked as the raw feeling of the music takes you. Impressive vocal effort.

This is by far my favourite Nirvana album, purely for its raw emotion and tone of music. Listening to the whole thing gives you a feel for what the band, especially Kurt was going through at the time, even though there is a bit of happy banter between songs. I think this is an album to get for sure as, in reality is gives you a better picture of the true Nirvana than any of the studio albums will.