Unplugged In New York review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 1, 1994
Nirvana: Unplugged In New York

Nirvana's preceding albums are basically a compilation of grunge songs put together to form a theme in the albums. This album is on a whole new level. Even without the distortion, Kurt Cobain provides a lot of feeling into his solos and riffs (Come As You Are for example). I do believe there is a story behind this album, whether or not Kurt wanted a story I'm not sure but there is one.

Ok so the first few songs are from each album in order (Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero). I think each track represents a stage in his life. Opening up with "About A Girl" shows how when you are young, all that matters is love. Then as he grows up more he faces real life problems such as his stomach pains, self hatred, heroin addiction, etc. As the album starts to end it shows his suicidal thoughts. Lake Of Fire is about hell, All Apologies is his way of saying sorry, and Where Did You Sleep Last Night shows his his suspicion of his loved ones (Courtney Love in particular). You should also note the flowers and candles on stage when they played (sort of like a funeral) and it was their last concert in the US.

This is definately a great live performance by Nirvana. In between the songs, Kurt will say some stuff to make you laugh. I personally think the last song, Where Did You Sleep Last Night?, and Come As You Are stand out the most. I love how he can rip out his emotions so powerfully on an acoustic guitar. It shows he can play good without having distortion cover his mistakes. I downloaded this album and once I have enough money to spare, I will definately buy it. Great album.