Unplugged In New York review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 1, 1994
Nirvana: Unplugged In New York

The sound is so powerful, I thought the originals off the albums were strong, but these were just power house.Alot of people would be turned off by the whole acoustic aproach, but for those who are dedicated, this album is amazing. The feels range from almost jazzlike to blues licks, and to the hard rock we all know and love. The little interludes between songs contain jokes and wise cracks from Kurt, and some really inspired playing. Some people assume that "unplugged" means selling out, but every body should consider this album as a contender in every way, except for usless noise. Kurt Cobain was on heroin when the album was made, but I dosnt show. For begginers, I suggest "Man Who Sold The World", "Come As You Are", "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" and "Something in the way". I lowered the rating from 10 because not everyone will like this, but for me, it's an 11.

Naturally, the lyrics are awesome, even though Kurt didn't write them all. Actuall, the album is mostly covers. The lyrics seemingly mold and embrace the music, strengting each other. You just can't sepperate the two. Kurt's voice is earth shattering. He alternates from the powerful and emotional "Pennyroyal Tea" to the dream like and wise "Plateau". Some people bash Kurt for his voice, but it is almost perfect on this. He controls his "cracks" better than on "In Utero", butlets a few trough, most noticably on "Pennyroyal Tea". But it only adds to the power, not destroys.

It is as powerful as "Nevermind", but not as listener friendly. It is more so than "In Utero", "Incesticide", and "Bleach". So I will say that the album is probally better than "Nevermind", but dosnt have the timeless appeal. So, just because it dosnt have "Smells like Teen Spirit", dosnt make it a bad choice. Though, it is very deep at moments.

Quark113
    My 1st Nirvana CD, best ever. 2 bad he did so many covers tho, I would've liked 2 C more Nirvana original stuff.
    Fly-swatter
    this album really shows the critics that Kurt was a brilliant writer/musician and that he took his life at his peak... r.i.p