With The Lights Out review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 23, 2004
Nirvana: With The Lights Out

So yes it is finally here the boxset we've all been waiting for. The anticipation is finally over, but aren't they all demos and personal recordings so they should sound crappy. Not at all, pretty much all the songs are easy to listen to, with some exceptions (Heartbreaker etc.) But it doesn't matter at all because you can still hear the music that they made and the feeling it gives you. I really don't have any problem with the sound and I think it's great they could even get all the songs in the first place. Oh yeah I love the crying in the beginning of Rape Me it's so awesome. Even though the sound in Krists house isn't that good it's still awesome to see them.

What else can I possibly say about Generation X's poet. We all know his unbelievable ability to blend words with other words to form ideas and meanings relating to us all. This boxset is no exception. Do Re Mi is an unbelievable song that can really make you depressed in a good way though. It makes you want to listen to it over and over again. Of course all the words in this album just make you feel Kurts pain especially the solo acoustic songs. I also really like how alot of the songs have different lyrics than normal so you can see the songs growth.

Was this boxset worth all these years of waiting, of course I think. It may not be entirely polished but it doesn't matter because the things Kurt is feeling seems to come out of the music and DVD. When watching the DVD and seeing them in Krists moms house and Kurt seems to be ignoring everyone in the room and just staring at the wall, it is so intenese. He never seems focused on whats going on around him and he's always staring into the abyss. Nirvana is the only band that can make you cry with one song and make you wickedly pissed off on another. I listen straight though every song on these cd's and if I ever lost the boxset I would buy two more, one to listen to, and one to listen to if I lost the other one again.