With The Lights Out review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 23, 2004
Nirvana: With The Lights Out

Nirvana has always been my 1st or 2nd favorite band. Their sound is addictive. At first you might not like it, but after listening to it 3 or 4 times, you're hooked. The sound of the band isn't only the guitar, it's also the bass and the drums. Krist Novoselic is extremely talented and created catchy hooks. Mixed with Kurt Cobain's voice and Dave Grohl's beating of the drums, you have one thing. Real rock and roll.

Some of Nirvana's lyrics aren't exactly the deepest, Nirvana wasn't all about that. Kurt Cobain intentionally wanted to sound dorky. In the song Sliver, "Granda take me home" is repeated 8 or so times. But then there are the other lyrics. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a really deep song in my opinion. Though it may not seem like everything makes sense, it all comes together. Heart Shaped Box is another really heavy song. The version in this set is different. It's a demo and has different lyrics, such as "I've been trapped in your heart shaped box" and at one point Cobain says "heart shaped coffin". I think Kurt Cobain has amazing skills. He can sing at a usual tone, but make his voice scream/sing when he wants to. He music also goes very well with the lyrics. This is a definite 5/5.

Nirvana is one of the most influential bands of our time. Probably one of the last real great rock bands, and this prove it. They do a couple Led Zeppelin covers, though not every song if that great. There were a few really good songs on it that I had never hear before like Blandest And Sappy, but then there were a few I did not like. Grey Goose was basically the same guitar tab over and over again. I eventually got sick of it and had to change it. The DVD though, is really good. I kind of was hoping they would show more of them as themselves though, rather then just music. I mean, I know it's all about music, but there was only like 3 or 4 minutes of them being them. But those are probably the only real negative things about them. The end of the DVD is real sad though. So if you're sensitive, be ready to be grabbing the tissues, like I did. If I had ever lost or something happened to this set, I would definetly buy it again. I had been waiting 53 days for this to come out. I couldn't compare this to anything else really. Maybe a bit of Soundgarden.. I don't know. Nirvana is unique and can't be compared. Overall, I would recommend this to any real Nirvana fan. If you're part of the fad of 14 year old girls and boys loving Kurt Cobain but having no idea who Krist Novoselic is, don't waste your money.