With The Lights Out review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 23, 2004
Nirvana: With The Lights Out

It's grunge, it's about as much grunge as you're ever going to get. Die-hard fans of Nirvana will easily love this CD, but those new to the grunge style may be turned off by some of the songs' raw noise. The band provokes wild and harsh emotions in previously-unreleased recordings of "Endless Nameless" and "Scentless Apprentice", then capture you with catchy riffs and rhythms found in "Old Age" and an earlier, different "Verse Chorus Verse". They finally leave you with a mellow, displaced feeling in "If You Must" and "Do Re Mi".

Nirvana is easy to quote, Kurt's lyrics will often leave you repeating what he said, provided you can understand it. You may even find hints to his suicide, such as "I Will Never Die Again" (You Know You're Right).

Its a nice trip for those of us who needed a little more Nirvana, but with eighty songs and only a few making it to my "Best Of" list, the compilation had more of a "Spray And Pray" effect on me. However, for those of you thinking of simply downloading the hit songs, don't forget that this album comes with a thick garfield-book-sized inset and a DVD full of amazing videos of the band playing and lounging.