With The Lights Out review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 23, 2004
Nirvana: With The Lights Out

People would think that the demo's and solo acoustics would sound bad, but heck, if anyone thinks this and hasn't got the box set should reconsider, the band is excelent at live demos and Kurt's solo acoustics are exceptional and really prove his abilitys as a singer and guitarist. Personnaly I think the best demo I've heard (so far) is Smells Like Teen Spirit, it proves that the band sounds great even when recorded into a cheap tape recorder and that the studio they use doesn't enhance their playing alot when compared to the song on Nevermind. Like so many pop stars are doing today who all sound crap live. Oops went off the subject there for a bit sorry. All of the demo's, acoustics and some live versions on disc 1 all sound great, unfortunately on the DVD the sound isn't that great because the were filmed using camcorders that just coudn't take it, still some great footage and the In Bloom video's great, with some strange shots of Kurt with a clear mask on. So after saying all that what I mean to say is. I'm not sure because words cannot describe the incredible sound. I would give it 6/5 but it only goes to 5.

With every song, the lyrics fit the Guitar, Bass and Drums to form absolute gems all packed into a little disc or four, but now to focus on what the lyrics mean. I think Kurt's voice is tremendous being able to switch from a soft verse to kick ass screaming chorus like on 'Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip' (which I am listening to right now). That's right I've been listening to the box set while writing this but it helps. So in other words, lyrics also unbelievable!

Great presentation (I'm talking about the box it came in) I love the heat reactant stuff on the back I think it's really cool. Great picture on the front of the box. Great little booklet inside. Cool pictures on the disc. Too big for a CD rack but who cares about that? Great songs, lyrics, vocals, great guitaring, bassing, drumming etc. An absolute must have collecters item for a Nirvana fan. If I lost it or it was stolen I'd have a small breakdown, then buy another.