With The Lights Out review by Nirvana

• Released: Nov 23, 2004
Nirvana: With The Lights Out

First of all, lets just say that Nirvana was an amazing band and deserved the attention they got because of their amazing lyrics and creativity thanks to Kurt Cobain. He was a pioneer for the rights of the discriminated, he was an amazing person and that he didn't deserve to die (I believe he didn't commit suicide. For more information google "The Cobain Case" it is a very informative documentary). Now that that is out of the way let's get to the album. Nirvana's unique tone, lyrics and playing are showcased on this album by playing their live preformances and their demos. The sound on the album overall isn't that great mainly because of the fact that it is a collection of demos and live preformances recorded by shoddy tape recorders, but that said the overall impression of the record is a good one. They showcase some of the softer songs in a solo acoustic version other than that it is great Grunge.

It is fair to say that Kurt's voice is one of, if not the best, voice suitied to Nirvana, I gaurentee if he wasn't the vocalist Nirvana wouldn't be half as popular. Kurt's soft, crooning, gentle voice is showcased in "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam" and it is a beautiful thing to listen too. His darker side comes through on such songs as "I Hate Myself And I Want To Die". Then his vocal range is extended over several songs such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Heart-Shaped Box", and "Blandest". When it comes to the lyrics themselves, there is a varying range. Some songs are strong and others are weak, but all of them go well with the music.

This album is a good album but I would only reccomend it to Hardcore Nirvana fans because of the fact it is almost all demos. The most impressive songs on the album are definitely any of the solo acoustic songs on CD#3, specifically "Do Re Mi" other songs worth checking out are "Token Eastern Song", "They Hung Him On A Cross", and "Sappy". This is a pretty good collection but I wouldn't drop another 100 for a similar one, I would prefer to get the rest of all the Nirvana albums. Before you buy this definitely check out the other albums specifically In Utero and MTV Unplugged Live in New York.