Nouns review by No Age

• Released: May 8, 2008
No Age: Nouns

When you hear the words No Age, you may think of the 1987 SST records compilation featuring instrumental punk songs. Drummer/Vocalist Dean Allen Spunt discovered this CD while working in a record store in Los Angeles. Inspired, he decided to form a band with guitarist friend Randy Randall since they were previously 2/3 of the hardcore punk/noise rock band Wives. No Age's sound can best be described as a mix between indie rock, lo-fi, and noise pop with subtle elements of shoegaze mixed in. Their second CD, Nouns, mixes all of these sounds together to form one amazing release. Although the CD is only about 30 minutes long, it consistently held my interest. A typical No Age song is about 2-3 minutes long and includes noisy guitar strums, constant cymbal crashes, and low in the mix vocals.

I'm going to go ahead and say it straight: Dean Allen Spunt is not a very good singer, yet despite his flaws, his voices mixes very well with the music. As for the lyrics, they cover topics like love, death, and pain. Although they are not the most complicated lyrics, they get the point across very well and fit great with the music.

Overall, I really, really like this CD. It is probably my favorite of 2008. Everything fits really well. I love how they have subtle shoegaze elements into their music, like the outro to Teen Creeps and the verses to Errand Boy. If this CD were lost or stolen, I would buy another one since it has an amazing 68 page booklet in it, and also because I love the album artwork. Overall, this album gets a 9/10, and fans of Sonic Youth, Pavement, or indie in general should definitely check this band out.

RinestoneCowboy
    Damn straight it's the best album of 2008. More people should listen to these guys. I've seen them live at the Smell in Los Angeles, ****ing nuts.