Sound: The main reason why this makes an amazing album is the diversity of genres: reggae (Hey Baby, Underneath It All, Start The Fire, there was also supposed to be New Friend but that was rejected and it's available on Everything In Time), rock (Hella Good, Underneath It All, Detective, Don't Let Me Down, Platinum Blonde Life, Waiting Room), and dance (Hella Good, Hey Baby, Making Out, Detective, Running, In My Head, Waiting Room) the last track (Rock Steady) ties together the music styles. Some of the songs unfortunately are a bit lame (Start The Fire, Running, In My Head, Rock Steady). There is no real genre for this album! // 8
Lyrics: Unlike TK and ROS the lyrics on RS are not about Gwen having serious issues. Hey Baby is a rather dodgy song about groupees wanting to make out with Tony, Tom and Adrian at parties. Making Out and Waiting Room are about Gwen wanting to see Gavin-her boyfriend, now husband in London. In My Head is about her distrust in Gavin. Underneath It All is about whether or not Gavin is her right match (she can't really discuss that anymore now they are married). // 7
Overall Impression: 01. Intro - a stupid way to introduse an album like Rock Steady. Shoking first impression!
02. Hella Good - a catchy, rhythmic fusion of rock and dance music that will make you want to play it again. Second single from the album.
03. Hey Baby - a reggae-dance song with naughty lyrics! It features guest toaster Bounty Killer which is my personal faveourite part of the song.
04. Making Out - a great song that shows No Doubt's excellence at party-throwing.
05. Underneath It All - a reggae-rock song with lame lyrics but the amount of guitars in this song saves it from being a crap song. It features another guest toaster Lady Saw.
06. Detective - a song witch has pop in the verses, dance in the chorus and rock in the middle.
07. Don't Let Me Down - a full-on New Wave song with an incredible solo.
08. Start The Fire - great artist, crap song! Doesn't even have a guest toaster in it.
09. Running - another crap song with wierd gameboy sounds.
10. In My Head - another crap song! Boring guitar and random keyboards. Strangely, it ends in a gunshot noise.
11. Platinum Blonde Life - awesome song! Probably the heaviest song on the album.
12. Waiting Room - a cool duet with Prince with a stylish drum and bass beat.
13. Rock Steady - a crap song that attempts to fuse the album's genres together (it doesn't work).
Overall, this is pretty awesome record from No Doubt. If some dipstick stole it I'd definitely get a new one. // 7