Canyoneer Review

No Trigger: Canyoneer
Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
Label: Nitro
Genres: Punk Revival
The songs on Canyoneer range from infectiously driving to lightning fast, each of them containing an underlying message which slowly resonates to the surface.
 9.3
 8.7
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Canyoneer Reviewed by: Cheeta12890@yah, on april 19, 2006

Sound: This CD not an easy listener! There are scratchy voices while singing but overall not much true hardcore yelling. No Trigger has an aggressive, yet melodic sound that highlights their lyrics. No Trigger is no mirage. Proof that they know their musical place, Canyoneer is evident when they fade into feedback and then burst into old school music, fast as they can be with crazy riffs. They are into it! In every song on this album the music has a lightning fast pace that gets your heart pumbing and gets the thought of moshing going through your brain. But each song has a its own underlying message, which is slowly brought to the surface throughout the music's wicked guitar licks. This creates a sense of underlying realism, which makes the song even better. Twelve solid tracks from an awsome band creates a great collection of music. // 9

Lyrics: Rheault says, the song More To Offer, "Simply deals with the inequalities of gender-specific voices within underground music." He also says, "When a majority of bands you see are filled with men, those are the only points of view you get when you read their words and listen to their music. This song deals with that misfortune." Furthermore, to emphasize this point, the band has enlisted the talents of female vocalist Hayley Helmericks. "Haley had a flat-out terrific voice, and she really helped complete that song and made it stand out in a great way. We were so psyched on how it came out." Another song, You Said It, "Is a switch-tempo song, overlapped with strong gang vocals and a very catchy, melodic breakdown where a direct response to the an unneeded use of homophobic slang in use to confront its source." Rheault says that the song is "as straightfoward as you can get." And says that the song is great because it is "short, pissed off, and the message is completely clear." The (Not So) Noble Purveyors of the Third or Fourth Coming, which highlights their early discovery of punch rock while presenting their self-conscious attempt at joining the well established music scene. According to Rheault, "While writing the album and knowing we'd be working with Bill [Stevenson] and Jason [Livermore], it just struck me one day that the first true punk song I ever head was a song by The Descendents. It was that one song that got me into this type of music in the first place. So The (Not So) Noble deals with the crazy full-circle reality that was taking place. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around how cool it all is." // 8

Overall Impression: This band was in formed in 2000. No Trigger's has been priviledged to share the stage with such notable bands as None More Black, Bigwig, Small Brown Bike, Paint It Black, Glasseater, A Wlhelm Scream, and more. The band was a collection of regular people. Five guys working together in a basment for four years; something good 'ought to happen. Strong work ethic and a bit of humility, topped with music that was filled with relevance, catchiness, and honesty, and guess what you get; No Trigger. Central Massachusetts's No Trigger has been able to get their messages out of their East Coast town and to new fans worldwide. No Trigger has developed fans from Japan and North America. No Trigger's music has themes that include social, ecological, and personal issues. No Trigger is Punk, Hardcore, Aggression, Energy, and Melody, all intact. "We just wanted to write an album that cemented our ideas, both musical and thematic, in a relevant way," says the singer, Tom Rheault. "I think we succeeded ten-fold." The end result of this effort was a band that was loud and honest about who they are and that they are going somewhere. No Trigger has perfected a simple formula that works extremely well. Canyoneer comes to a close with the song Tundra Kids where according to Rheasult the band had to "give up to make this album possible". The band No Trigger is ready to leave behind everything, from jobs to college degrees, and make their way into a new world and carrying a torch like other bands, spreading their vision to all who will listen. // 9

Comments