Suffer, Survive review by No Warning

• Released: Oct 19, 2004
No Warning: Suffer, Survive

I have to admit that every hardcore band I've heard before was fake -- simple as that. Some had power, some had style, others were just loud, but No Warning combines everything in just one record. No Warning is the first band to sign with Machine Shop Records -- label started by the members of Linkin Park. Soon after signing to the MSR, the band released "Suffer, Survive" -- the real hardcore show. The disc contains 10 songs, video clip and a couple wallpapers. I was unable to run the disc on my comp, so you better prepare your alternative CD player. This disc marks a change of the bands' music -- while standing on the same metalcore point it became less "underground" and more marketable and melodic, though it made "Suffer, Survive" even better for the average listener. Fast-paced drums, solid guitar riffs and yells in every chorus make this album respectful by less mainstream crowd, though leaving the chance to get airplay on MTV. Just in case you still didn't get it, I'll describe the main feeling of the album -- it's the Hatebreed meet Sum 41 in bridges and Linking Park in choruses. This is a risky move for the band that was previously signed with a pure hardcore label Bridge Nine, they were the etalon (!!!) of how hard and heavy pure metalcore should be.

As I've mentioned before, the disc is very memorable with its Linkin Park-like choruses. There is really something catchy about it and this new style of theirs is pretty efficient overall. The vocals adds a fair portion of positive feedback to the record -- they has a perfect production and make listener actually listen to the lyrics, rather than just feel overall impression. Nothing uncommon in terms of lyrics though, they're angry, dark and straight in place: "Dead word of regret / That's never leaving me alone / I'm hunted down by memories / So throw away the things I know..." or "Rotting to the core, it's do or die inside me / I want a little more only this time with meaning / I'm welcoming a war..." Surpisingly, the lyrics are different for most songs and they are pretty long -- all in all it's a fair 4 points.

You have probably noticed that while reading every next line of the review it's getting less "wow"ish and more like an average music. I've noticed that as well and it's absoultely not right. The disc is short overall (though it has 10 songs), but you won't be bored or disappointed at all because it's full of really unique music. The disc has some faster "punk" moments on the hardcore vibe, though it doesn't matter what kind of style they've mixed in to the songs 'cause everything on the album is catchy -- absolute heaviness, perfect vocal performance and great riffs of their axeman. If you're going to get this album track by track from online stores, watch out for "Hopeless Case," "Back To Life" and "Modern Eyes" at first. They are doing the right thing -- like that or not, the guys are just a few steps behind to become mainsteram.