Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down review by Noah and the Whale

• Released: Aug 11, 2008
Noah and the Whale: Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down

Unique. Unique is the only word to describe the sound of this album. after the summer success of "5 Years Time", it is easy to assume that this is an album full of radio friendly pop tunes. this isnt the case, with numerous ballads and lengthy laments. I don't think you can give this band a definite genre, with it's folk influences and very modern twists. the music itself is very uplifting for the most part, but lyrically it is very dark with it's stories of unrequainted love and bereavement. most songs have the same arrangement of Acoustic guitar, a limited drum kit, and violin. however, almost each song has something to make it different from the other, with "Rocks and Daggers"'s brass section or 25 Years Time"'s Flute.

lyrically, this album is rather beautiful. the songs opening track, "2 atoms in a molecule" provides some of the nicest flowing verses on the album and some of the best lines. the lyrics always suit the music brilliantly and the album is really a testiment to Charlie's songwriting skills. his voice is an odd one. I think it really is an "you either love it or hate it" things. personnly I like it, but I know many others who can't stand it. I haven't really heard many singers like him, and although he sounds like he comes from the west country in some parts, his voice truely conveys the emotion of the song, and this is the most striking aspect. at some points, it is difficult not to get choked up.

I have quite a few albums this yeah, and this one is only the second I've been able to listen through all the way on the 1st go. the other being "because of the times" by Kings of Leon. the difference of these two being, I gladly let this album play back again on repeat. I believe, "2 atoms in a molecule", "jocasta" and the title track "peaceful, the world lays me down" to be the best songs. that said all songs are around the same standard, and there is no worst song. if it were stolen, I would almost defintely buy it again, that said, it's uploaded on my iTunes so I don't really need to:) but all things aside, I would recomend this album to anyone who is looking to something a little different to the other sounds coming out of the planets' lyricists and music makers.

BellowingHen
    The genius with this album is the little things. All over, you've got Marling's backup, which is perfect, little piano fills... there's no one thing in each song to make it so good, it's just a weaving of little things to form a gorgeous whole. And the two main singers are so perfect singing together... too bad they went and broke up. The next album is just as good though, so... there ya go.
    Bozjoarmstrong
    not a huge fan of Charlie Fink's voice but his marvellous lyrics and the beautiful tunes more than make up for it. A far better album than I anticipated.