Chasing Yesterday review by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

• Released: Feb 25, 2015
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds: Chasing Yesterday

Noel Gallagher and his High Flying Birds is back and what an album to continue what he's best at; writing music! After the split with Oasis in 2009 Noel Gallagher formed Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, for that way to continue carrying out his solo work as a musician. On October 17, 2011, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds released their self-titled debut album - with singles as "If I Had a Gun" and "Dream On." In 2013 Noel started working on what would become the album "Chasing Yesterday." The making of "Chasing Yesterday" had been postponed due to touring with the band and because of reissues of earlier Oasis albums. Just like the debut album, "Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds," "Chasing Yesterday" was recorded at Strangeways & Abbey Road Studios. Finally the recording was completed in 2014, featuring the lead single "In the Heat of The Moment," November 2014, later followed by the second single "Ballad of the Mighty I," January 2015.

Overall, I'm deeply impressed with "Chasing Yesterday." Noel Gallagher has done it again - writing fantastic music and melodic lyrics. The sound of his voice is as superb as always and takes me back to the Oasis-days. The fact that Noel himself has produced, recorded and mastered the album really gives an idea of what he's capable of! The album contains 10 track + 5 bonus recordings.

First track on "Chasing Yesterday" is "Riverman," a love song, Noel said that "Riverman" is his absolute favorite track off the record. Other tracks is "Lock All the Doors," "The Dying of the Light," "You Know We Can't Go Back" and "The Mexican." All really great and power-sounding songs, I almost feel that a couple of these songs should have been some of the first singles.

Overall the album has a very good rhythmic structure, featuring the driven single "In the Heat of the Moment" and ending with the more quiet "Ballad of the Mighty I."

The lyrics on "Chasing Yesterday" is really amazing and they deal with both love and the nostalgia of Noel's own thoughts and feelings. There's a lot of feelings and episodes present in the lyrics. For example in "The Dying of the Light" and "You Know We Can't Go Back." Both titles describe the transition of something that has slowly passed and slowly fades away. I would say that's what make his songs, lyrics and music so interesting and fantastic to listen to. Noel represents a time, decades and periods where both Oasis and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds have successfully made music to something that creates a deeper meaning and understanding for a lot of people.

Overall I really can't find any downfalls - not a single one! The music, the lyrics and Noel's voice - it's how it should always be! "Chasing Yesterday" is my favorite album of 2015! Though, I can't quite follow what the UG Team wrote in their review, that Noel is trying to sound like The Beatles? In my opinion I feel and hear that Noel has "up'd" his game this time, and made some really catchy and beautiful tunes, actually a lot better that some of the songs on the debut album. I agree that some of the tracks might flirt a little with the line between rock and pop music, but again, it's a thing that indicates Noel and his music. I highly recommend "Chasing Yesterday" - get a copy!

Jazzmandtk
    Granted I'm biased as an Oasis fan, but I'm 3 weeks in and still loving this album. I'd been waiting years to hear "The Dying of the Light" since the demo surfaced online a while back and the studio version is fantastic. Same can be said for the rest of the album. The only reason anyone could say this album sounds like too much like The Beatles is because they are rehashing the criticisms that pervaded Oasis' earlier work and blindly trying to apply them here. Implying "Ballad of the Mighty I" or any other tracks on the album sound like rehashed Beatles tunes is lunacy
    benthegrunge
    you get the feeling that the first reviewer doesn't really dig oasis/noel, but because its a big release UG felt the need to cover it instead of just leaving it to contributers
    Supersonic1
    That UG review is one of the most painful things I've ever read. It sounds like it was written by a 9 year-old that read a poorly translated wikipedia article. It just lists tracks and throws in the lazy Beatles bit. ""The Dying of the Light" is a sad or melancholy song"
    strikermatt16
    worst songs The Mexican and In The Heat of the Moment is the reviewer Meyrio on Crack they are 2 of the best only song that dont get me grooving like a nutter is The right stuff top album