So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes review by NOFX

• Released: Apr 11, 1997
NOFX: So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes

'So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes' is NOFX's seventh album, and the album many NOFX fans consider their best. All the classic NOFX sounds are here, from the hardcore of 'Murder The Government', to the skate punk of 'Dad's Bad News' and the ska of 'Eat The Meek', this album has it all. The sound quality is also the best sound NOFX have ever produced. The guitars are crisp and casually roar about with a tone I've been trying to perfect for years. The drums and bass are always present and sounding great, and the trumpet solos only add to the fun.

The lyrics are great throughout the album. Fat Mike is a very diverse lyricist, with songs ranging from psychotic grandparents to depression to falling in love on crashing airplane, and even a song in French. Fat Mike's snotty vocals are an aquired taste, and some people will find them annoying and grating to listen to, but I like them.

Overall, this is probably my favourite NOFX album. 1991's 'Ribbed' and 1992's 'White Trash...' are also exceptionally good, but I think this one edges it. It has a more diverse range of sounds, which means it doesn't get boring or repetitive. The most impressive tracks are 'Champs Elysees', 'Dad's Bad News' and the awesome 'Falling In Love'. All the songs are of exceptional quality though. You won't regret it if you buy this album. I'm going to stop typing now and go and listen to it again.

Zell182
    This album is one of their best but not quite, the new album's good though