So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes review by NOFX

• Released: Apr 11, 1997
NOFX: So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes

Yet another classic by SoCal legends NOFX. The album contains some very catchy songs. However, there are some I felt were a little bland that I would not probably be listening to if it weren't for the other great songs that surround them. I also liked how they branched out of their skate-punk sound and tried things like ska and others. "All Outta Angst" is one of my all-time favorite ska songs. I also enjoyed their really short songs like "Monosyllabic Girl".

Like all their other albums, NOFX has good lyrics that make a point that falls in well with the style of music they play. There is never a moment that I cringe at how corny a lyric is, which can happen with many other bands, weather I like them or not. Their sarcastic social commentaries and off color humor always ammuse me. And not only did they sing in english on this record, but they stepped it up and even through down in french with a cover of Joe Dassin's "Champs Elysees." Although I wouldn't say Fat Mike is an especially talented singer, the way he sings goes with NOFX's music terrifically and I wouldn't want it any other way. It's kind of annoying when their guitar player (Eric) does that yell thing though.

NOFX is a great band with songs that don't grow old for me. My favorite songs off the album are "Murder the Government" "Monosyllabic Girl," "All Out of Angst,"Champs Elysees,"Kill the Rock Stars," "The Desperation's Gone," "Flossing a Dead Horse," and "Quart in Session." I have not heard all of their albums, but I would imagine although it might not be thier greatest album of all time, it is certainly a good album that is worth a listen, if not a purchase. I also liked the Howard Stern commentary at the end.